Talk

Advanced search

Really don't know where to start

(19 Posts)
Gemi33 Mon 29-May-17 10:59:20

Hi all

I have struggled with my weight for a long time but previously I have found it quite easy to get my head in the right place and have lost weight successfully in the past. Since last year I have a few medical issues - I have an underactive thyroid and I am anaemic. I feel constantly tired and find that when I am tired I find it more difficult to eat healthily. I have recently also been advised that I need to cut out wheat.

I am now the heaviest I have ever been and instead of this motivating me I feel so low and miserable about how I look. I am avoiding going out because I look horrible. I am so self conscious. Despite this I am struggling to feel motivated and get my head in the right place to stick with anything and I don't know why. I am constantly starting again and failing. I the past I have counted calories to lose weight but I thought it might be good to try something different so went along to a SW meeting a few weeks ago but it really wasn't for me and now I just don't know what to do. Feel so low and just can't get out of this rut.

Is anyone in a similar position? Does anyone have any advice of how to break this cycle or how to really motivate yourself when you've tried and failed so many times?

xx

ElectricShapener Mon 29-May-17 11:34:40

Yes - I'm in a similar position. WI this morning and heaviest ever - hard to get out of the cycle when so tired and overwhelmed.

I think the answer is probably baby steps (it has been in the past when I've struggled to motivate myself) and to be kind to yourself. Do one thing today that is better than usual - whether that be not eating any crisps, having more veg with dinner, saying no to the wine, waiting 20 mins and distracting yourself when the urge to snack comes, going for a 10 min walk.

Or maybe transition onto a plan slowly - like with counting calories - day 1 just count them (don't set a limit), maybe just for one meal if the whole day is too much.

Today I'm not going to have any crisps or wine. May watch the forks over knives documentary again.

Gemi33 Mon 29-May-17 12:30:52

Thanks for your reply, you're probably right. I think I get so impatient because I've put a lot of weight on in a short period of time but it feels like it is going to take so long to lose it.

Not heard of that documentary, what is it?

x

ElectricShapener Mon 29-May-17 12:39:12

on Netflix

Just heading out - will reply more later.

Snap8TheCat Mon 29-May-17 12:40:46

I felt like you, I needed quick results to feel motivated to continue. I've just started Exante and doing well so far.

grannytomine Mon 29-May-17 12:46:14

Are you getting treatment for the underactive thyroid? Once I was on levothyroxine my weight steadily, but slowly, dropped.

Gemi33 Mon 29-May-17 12:57:56

Hi

Thanks all, I am taking thyroxine and have been for quite a while but it hasn't made a difference, probably because of other ongoing medical issues,

x

Amiable Mon 29-May-17 13:17:50

Hi Gemi, it really is a bugger isn't it? I'm overweight, and have just been diagnosed with underactive thyroid too. This is one instance where it really isn't helpful to think of the whole picture - break it down into small chunks, so for instance plan on losing just 1lb a week for this month, or 2lbs this month or whatever works for you. Make it deliberately small, because right now all you need to do is get your confidence up, and if you don't reach that goal that's fine too, just don't let yourself give up. Each achievement will give you a boost, and as you feel better about yourself you can move those goals to fit.

I find I lose weight for 2 weeks, then put weight on in the third week, so take that into account when I set my goals. So I have lost a stone in 6 months, and have another 2 stone to go. (I try not to think of that tho as taking another year to get to target sounds horrendous!) I just think of the stone I have lost, so I know I can do it.

So one small step at a time. (Sorry for waffling!)

grannytomine Mon 29-May-17 13:21:47

Gemi33, have you had your blood tested to see if you need a higher dose? I think mine was increased 2 or 3 times before they got it right.

CiliatedEpithelium Mon 29-May-17 13:28:18

I have bought myself a set of six multicoloured melamine bowls. At the beginning of each day I put everything I am going to eat that day in two or three of the bowls and put them on a tray in the fridge. I am broadly following Paleo guidelines and I find the whole not eating it unless it's in the bowls thing fairly easy to stick to. In between I drink tea and coffee and if I feel like snacking, I find a sloosh of mouthwash acts a bit like a re-set button on the urge. This means I don't have to think too hard about it and that is the key for me. If I start doing too much thinking, I start over eating. sad

Unicorn81 Mon 29-May-17 14:19:38

I feel like i could have written your post. It took me a year before i got thyroxine from gp and although the extreme weight gain stopped i cant lose any. I dont feel motivated at all. I eat less than 1000cals a day but doesnt make a difference. My tsh is still up and down and i get ridiculous sweats which is so embarrassing, have fans on constantly to keep my cool. I was really ill last year and didnt eat for over a week, normal people would lose weight but i didnt.

Sorry not very uplifting am i! Wish you luck in feeling better, try not to stress about the weight, makes you feel worse.

Gemi33 Mon 29-May-17 16:01:36

I have been on a higher does of thyroxine before but it had a bad knock on effect on my pituitary hormone so it had to be lowered. Unicorn81 it's awful isn't - sometimes I used to eat really healthily and around a 1000 cals a day but I never lose weight and then I just lose all motivation.

grannytomine Mon 29-May-17 17:16:06

I must have been really lucky, I didn't suddenly lose weight but without dieting/exercise the weight just gradually went down. Lost it more slowly than I gained it.

Gemi33 Tue 30-May-17 07:25:49

I think I just feel demoralised and tired from continuously trying to lose weight again and again and failing - how do you get motivated and focused to try again when it feels so hopeless?

MirabelleTree Tue 30-May-17 08:03:54

I think you have to start and just look to the first few weeks and get through them. Success breeds success, it is much easier to get through tougher bits when you have some weight loss behind you. It doesn't matter what has happened in the past, get started now and focus on that. It is going to take a long time and it will not be easy . But if you read a lot of threads on here a lot of slim people put a fair bit of effort into maintaining weight and that is life for many people.

For now just try to get started and literally take one day at a time. Maybe get the scales out of the house so you can't be tempted to keep jumping on and off them (maybe that is just me!). Although there needs to be a fair bit of working through things in the long term try not to over analyse at the moment, just start. It really doesn't matter what you do , just do something and get through today. Then after you've done that you can deal with tomorrow but for now tomorrow doesn't matter only today does flowers

Therealslimshady1 Tue 30-May-17 08:11:59

I have (unexpectedly) put on weight and feel really tired (out of puff)

And dieting is making me so tired! I am cutting back on carbs, which left me a trembling wreck at my work out session.... so I guess cutting back carbs is not for me!

Now what?!

It is hard and boring, I guess that is just how it is....

MirabelleTree Tue 30-May-17 08:20:00

What have you been doing Therealslimshady ? I know a lot of people do cut back on carbs and if you have PCOS then it probably is necessary but a fair few people can lose eating carbs. I think you probably do get used to lower amounts and your body adjusts but depends if you want to. I've not been able to do low carb high fat as had gallbladder issues so haven't really looked into it and carried on having carbs but try to make them lower GI.

What sort of calorie intake have you had this week and how much exercise?

Gemi33 Tue 30-May-17 18:53:00

Thanks for the great advice. I think taking one day at a time is a good idea, I definitely feel impatient and struggle, just wish I could believe that can do it.

xx

MirabelleTree Thu 01-Jun-17 07:24:04

How are you getting on Gemi33?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now