Talk

Advanced search

How do you know when to stop?

(13 Posts)
OwlinaTree Wed 24-May-17 06:52:50

I'm doing well with my weight loss, I've lost 40lb and I'm in the normal bmi range now.

Problem is, I'm not sure when to stop! Do I keep on trying to lose until I plateau, then stop, or is it better to pick a target and stick at that, making it easier to maintain? Maybe choose a dress size to fit into? I don't know!

I want to do the best I can, but I need to find the balance so I'm not constantly dieting for ever!

Any advice? How did you choose your goals? Thanks.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Wed 24-May-17 07:06:29

I chose a weight target that I felt was achievable. Not, in fact, the perfect weight for me, but near the bottom of 'overweight'. When I got there I was exceedingly pleased with my progress, and decided to push on into "healthy weight". When I got there, I decided that I wanted to drop one more dress size to a 14. I achieved that, too, but ended up stabilising back up at a 16. Frankly, I was delighted at my progress, and very happy with my new shape, so I chucked the last target and stuck with sticking to 16.

So for me it was about achievable and believable targets, and recognising what was practicable - and being happy.

Congrats on your weight loss smile

OwlinaTree Wed 24-May-17 07:17:41

Thank you. Yes I want to get that balance, being happy with what I've achieved not trying to go to far.

LobsterQuadrille Wed 24-May-17 07:27:28

I think it depends on your frame and your personal distribution of weight. I'm naturally at the bottom end of healthy BMI or a bit below and would probably look better half a stone heavier but it wouldn't feel like "me". As the PP said, it's really what you feel happy and comfortable with. If you're now healthy and happy, I'd consider ditching the scales because they can become addictive and it doesn't sound as if you "need" them any more; you just need the right balance for you.

And congratulations on your achievement!

OwlinaTree Wed 24-May-17 07:36:51

Thank you. I think I'm the same, I've got a small frame and a high waist so all my excess is on my tummy. A few pounds is noticeable!

I'd like to drop another stone but I think I'd struggle to maintain it.

revolution909 Wed 24-May-17 20:08:07

I can't offer much advice as I'm on the same boat! I actually went to the GP for guidance and she told me to stop trying to lose weight! I exercise quite a bit but sometimes don't feel hungry. I've kept losing weight even though technically I don't want to. I'll look into protein shakes/bars as that's the only thing I can think might help me. My BMI is just below overweight, but I've become very, very lean (size 6 / 25in waist) so I just try to remain this size smile

Toffeelatteplease Wed 24-May-17 20:27:17

I lost 5stone +.

Ive kinda stabilised 2lbs off the upper end healthy BMI (lower end of healthy body fat percentage though). I orignally went lower (I hit the target I originally set) but I looked a bit emaciated and it was hard to maintain. The weight I am now seems hard to shift towards from and seems to forgive the odd indulgence. It kinda feels to me a natural stopping point.

There's good evidence that BMI isn't a great measure of healthy weight. I would look at body fat too.

OwlinaTree Wed 24-May-17 22:26:58

Thanks, how can I find out my body fat? I can definitely 'pinch an inch' or so! It's all round my tummy really, rest of me is ok!

revolution909 Wed 24-May-17 22:51:17

With one of those body analyzing scales. They're not extremely accurate but give you a good idea

OwlinaTree Wed 24-May-17 22:58:07

Ok, thanks.

Toffeelatteplease Thu 25-May-17 08:03:05

I found the home body fat analysers diabolical to use, it is sat going to waste and use my old basic scales at home. For body fat every couple of months i pop in a pound and hop on the one at the gym

stevie69 Thu 25-May-17 08:57:22

Hi OT, well done on your weight loss. When setting goals, pick something that you feel is achievable, that you're comfortable with, and that you think is maintainable.

I sit right at the bottom of my BMI range (BMI of 20) but I'm a skinny, androgynous build; no curves. If you're lucky enough to be curvy, then go for something that shows them off. You say you're in the normal BMI range now, so that's great. Whatever you decide, there isn't much more to do.

Well done, you smile

S xxx

Flashinthepan Thu 25-May-17 09:59:08

Well done on your weight loss!

I think once you're a healthy weight, focusing on enjoying healthy food and a moderate amount of treats but not overindulging, and staying fit and active, is more important than trying to lose more weight. Hopefully by doing that your body will also settle at a weight that you can maintain in the long term, and the exercise will tone up any unwanted jiggly bits!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now