Talk

Advanced search

No idea what's healthy anymore

(8 Posts)
Somethingbloodyclever Tue 23-May-17 22:14:32

I've always eaten far more than what is considered a normal portion and was brought up eating nuggets and chips pizza and chips sausage and chips. Through childhood and my teen years it didn't seem to have any effect on my weight but since having ds I'm now gaining weight.
I was 5ft 5 and 8st12lbs-9st I'm now 11st3lbs and still gaining.

I've changed what I eat but I'm not sure if it's better. I know I need to change how much but not sure how to deal with hunger. I eat when I'm bored. I want my diet to be healthier not only for myself but for ds aswell.

Average week

WED- chicken shwarma flatbread with yogurt - meal out at family.

THUR - new potato salad with asparagus and eggs - leek, potato and minced beef bake

FRI - risotto cakes n salad - pork chops with wedges and mixed veg

SAT - baked fish burgers - baked gnocchi with peas and broad beans

SUN - sweet potato fritters - sticky marmalade chicken with roasties and mixed veg.

MON - toasted corn chicken salad - toad in the hole with onion gravy, mash n veg

TUE - panzonella - homemade salmon fishfingers crushed peas and new potatos

Any advice would be amazing thank you.

Somethingbloodyclever Wed 24-May-17 08:58:20

Anyone?

HairsprayBabe Wed 24-May-17 09:13:49

The variety seems decent to me, plus you aren't super carb heavy on any of the days, but it is hard to tell without portion sizes included.

The food you are eating looks healthy but if you are eating too much of it you will still gain if you see what I mean.

Do you have breakfast? Do you snack? Do you exercise? These will all have an effect. It could just be your metabolism slowing down as you get older, happens to everyone sadly!

Somethingbloodyclever Wed 24-May-17 09:36:45

A slice of buttered toast for breakfast can't stomach anything else because I wake up at 4am for work.

Somethingbloodyclever Wed 24-May-17 09:38:09

I'll have a look at my portion sizes today. And no snacking, I don't let myself snack if I start snacking I'd honestly graze all day on top of my meals.

HairsprayBabe Wed 24-May-17 09:46:32

Do you add butter etc to things like the mash? That could be one way of reducing cals if you do.

If you drink hot drinks do you have them with milk and sugar etc. Can also lead to extra "empty calories"

Are you drinking enough water that might help?

Somethingbloodyclever Wed 24-May-17 20:42:44

I do add butter, and I have sugar and milk, never actually gave it a second thought. Definitely cutting down on that now.

Portions today

1 slice of toast with butter

1 grilled chicken with 2 mini flatbreads
A handful of diced cucumber 1 baby gem lettuce and a handful of pomegranate
With a table spoon of Greek yogurt.

3 tablespoons of full fat Greek yogurt with a handful of pomegranate

1 small cheese burger.

HairsprayBabe Thu 25-May-17 08:17:29

That sounds good, especially the FF yog as it will keep you fuller longer, not sure about the cheeseburger as they can wildly vary depending where you get it from etc.

I would say your issue is extra "hidden" calories in things like sugary tea, butter in mash etc 1tbsp of butter is just over 100 calories, and one sugar in your tea will add about 16 calories, if you are having 6 cups of tea a day that is adding in another extra 100 calories, one cup of tea with semi skimmed milk is 26 calories on its own.

I found the best way for me to lose weight was reducing refined carbs including white potatoes to basically nil, and watching portion size on everything that isn't above ground growing veg. That way you can still have big meals but not feel deprived.

Feel free to join us on the lose 7lbs in a month thread we are very friendly and supportive, with people just doing their own thing. I have lost nearly 5st since I started dieting last year and my goal weight is around 9.7 I am 5ft6. I couldn't have done it without the support from here!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now