Talk

Advanced search

Not a single lb!

(23 Posts)
SillyLittleBiscuit Tue 23-May-17 16:51:11

I'm early 40s, 5ft 5 and weigh 11 stone. All weight carried on boobs/stomach so I look fairly substantial (and was offered a seat on the tube last week - although not sure if they thought old or pregnant ..)

Since beginning of May I've not had a drop of alcohol, I've stuck to between 12-1400 cals and I've run about 15 miles a week. I've not lost a single lb. What now?

revolution909 Tue 23-May-17 19:41:37

Hang on there! I think it took me at least 3-4 weeks to lose anything. Six months later I've lost 3st and dropped 4 dress sizes. Do you weigh yourself everyday?

SillyLittleBiscuit Wed 24-May-17 09:39:43

Yep! Everyday. Addicted to the sodding scales.

I'm going to keep on keeping on. Pretty disheartening though. Well done on your 3st. That's brilliant!

Teddy6767 Wed 24-May-17 09:42:48

What sort of things are you eating each day? And are you drinking lots of water?
Are you on your period or approaching it? I find my weight stays the same or increases by a few pounds around that time even if I'm strictly dieting. But once it's all over I suddenly drop about 3 pounds

Teddy6767 Wed 24-May-17 09:44:12

And also make sure you only weigh yourself once a day at the same time (first thing in the morning after a wee and a poo haha and before you have eaten or drank anything). My weight goes up a couple of pounds throughout the day from all the water I drink

ChrisPrattsFace Wed 24-May-17 09:48:26

Don't weigh every day!! Once a week, at the same time. Mine is every saturday morning, after going to the toilet. grin

I don't have a lot to loose, but i am three months in and have lost 1stone. Not noticeable in weight untill around 5weeks after i started.
Good Luck op!

MrsStinkey Wed 24-May-17 10:01:34

Don't weigh every day or every week if you can help it and remember the saying, this months diet is next months body! You sound like you're doing brilliantly and I'm sure in a couple of weeks you'll start to reap the benefits.

Emmie412 Wed 24-May-17 10:05:31

Do you weigh the food you eat? Add every drink and calories, e.g. milk in tea etc? Do you eat back your exercise calories?

SillyLittleBiscuit Wed 24-May-17 11:39:28

I log all my food via my fitness pal - every cup of tea. Don't eat back exercise cals, not on period.

A typical day would be bacon and scrambled eggs with tomatoes and spring onions for breakfast, thai curry or bolognese with veg and/or cous cous for lunch and salmon or steak and salad for dinner. Skinny latte mid afternoon. I will go for pizza every 10 days or so but choose a healthier option and make sure I don't go over 1400 cals.

I need to step off the scales and not expect a quick fix I guess. Thanks for responses all.

Emmie412 Wed 24-May-17 12:14:09

Might be more useful to take out a measuring tape instead. I read somewhere that lots of exercise stores water.

I am eating roughly 1200 calories a day although up this with exercise as 1200 calories is miserable.

My typical day would be

Breakfast
small porridge with semi-skimmed milk, strawberries and egg white 220 calories

Lunch:
Chumaki set and edamame beans from Itsu 420calories

Dinner:
Roughly around 800 calories, e.g. halloumi and veggie wraps with houmous plus some milk.

This works out as 1440 calories but I can't do any less with running and exercise.

Question is - do you weigh the food? I find that MFP often has ridiculously wrong calorie counts for the food plus my pet hate 'cups' as measurements. How is that EVER going to be accurate?

Emmie412 Wed 24-May-17 12:16:50

Sorry, should have said Wasabi. smile

AdalindSchade Wed 24-May-17 12:18:39

Cups are an American unit of weight and they are standardised.

Are you weighing absolutely everything? Your food diary seems quite a lot of food for 1400 calories. Your portions must be tiny.

revolution909 Wed 24-May-17 12:20:00

Yes I was about to say the same, that seems like a lot of food!

SillyLittleBiscuit Wed 24-May-17 13:45:25

Just looked at a typical day

Breakfast - 222 cals (plain scrambled eggs, 2 grilled back bacon rashers, a spring onion and 6 cherry tomatoes plus a cup of tea with skimmed milk)
Lunch - 340 (75g cous cous and a weighed recipe of lean mince bolognese)
Dinner - 578 (Salmon, edamame beans, salad with dressing)
Snacks - 115 skinny latte.

= 1254 cals

Emmie412 Thu 25-May-17 14:24:39

A cup is a measure for volume, not weight. Fine with liquids but a cup of chopped whatever is going to depend how small or chunky you chop things.

Anyhow, am really sorry, I am not sure why you are not losing weight. Is there a chance that you might actually be eating too little?

Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? Could there be issues with thyroid for example?

sam128 Thu 25-May-17 18:56:57

2 years ago, i lost 10% of my body weight with the help of paleo diet plan prescribed by my friend. It helped me a lot! Try too!

LordWontYouBuyMeAMercedesBenz Thu 25-May-17 19:05:49

Please don't be disheartened op, you're doing great. I agree with the poster above who said this months diet will show next month, it's often delayed for some reason! Plus all the running you're doing will be causing your muscles to retain water so you probably have lost fat but the water weight is causing the scales to show a higher weight.
There will be lots of good changes going on in your body from stopping drinking and doing all the running, hopefully they will start to show soon enough. Think feeling fitter, more energy, lower cholesterol, better muscle tone smilein the last 2 months I've lost a stone, though some weeks I've lost nothing, other weeks lost 3lbs and other weeks gained a pound even though I'm doing the same thing each week. If I'd have stopped because of the weeks I lost nothing I wouldn't be a stone lighter now and motivated to keep going!

Dodie66 Thu 25-May-17 19:24:14

I lost four pounds in the first 10 days then started putting it on again for some reason. 1000-1200 calories a day. I stuck with it and nearly four weeks on am finding that my clothes are getting looser especially My jeans around my hips and middle. I am now losing again only a little bit at a time but my doc said do it slowly.

user1495750782 Fri 26-May-17 09:02:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SillyLittleBiscuit Fri 26-May-17 11:02:24

Thanks all and well done on your weight losses.

Am motivated to carry on by your post mercedes thanks! Will also look at BMR and TDEE calculators.

SillyLittleBiscuit Thu 01-Jun-17 10:20:00

I persevered, stayed off the scales and when I weighed in this morning 4lbs had disappeared smile

Emmie412 Thu 01-Jun-17 11:28:00

Well done!!!! smile

LordWontYouBuyMeAMercedesBenz Thu 01-Jun-17 18:53:56

Well done that's amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now