Talk

Advanced search

Bone mass - what should it be?

(7 Posts)
robinia Thu 18-May-17 07:32:58

I have these fancy scales that give a BMI reading along with fat percentage, muscle mass, water and bone mass. I can find ideal ranges for everything except bone mass. All I can find for bone mass is some calculation where you are measured according to an average and given a plus or minus score - usually as small as 1 or 2 it seems. My bone mass reading is 5.6 - so what does this mean and what is the ideal range?

robinia Thu 18-May-17 19:53:18

Bumping in the hope that someone knows what it's all about!

PacificDogwod Thu 18-May-17 19:57:19

I know of know scale that could assess 'bone mass' in any way reliably confused

Body fat is calculated according to how fast a current passes through your body, so I get fat percentage. Muscle = water in terms of measuring it on a set of scales. I suspect they are promising more than they can deliver?

I'm intrigued...

robinia Fri 19-May-17 19:07:01

I have no idea how it thinks it is done! There are lots of similar scales on the market which also advertise bone mass readings. There is definitely a way of measuring bone mass/mineral density because that's how your osteoporosis risk is assessed. And that's what this +/- average reading is about. But that's as much as I've found out so far.

PacificDogwod Fri 19-May-17 19:47:17

Yes, osteoporosis/bone densinomety is done used x-ray - I sincerely hope your bathroom scales don't use that grin

DEXA scan

And may I take the opportunity to apologise for the truly shocking spelling/grammar? blush
"I know of no scale..."
Doh!!

PacificDogwod Fri 19-May-17 19:47:40

using

I give up.
<slinks off>

robinia Fri 19-May-17 20:24:05

Haha! One day mumsnet will allow us to edit our posts grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now