Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Under active thyroid and weight loss

(12 Posts)
wendyonthefarm Sun 14-May-17 10:52:29

Sorry if this has been posted before.
Can anyone help me. I have been trying to lose weight for a couple of months now, and it's not shifting!! Has anyone managed to find the right way to lose weight when you've got an under active thyroid? I am on thyroxine.

Wineandcoffee Sun 14-May-17 11:00:35

Watching with interest as I have a similar problem. It's depressing.

My recent research has suggested a gluten free diet (I have hashimotos) and good gut health may support both well-being and weightloss. I have been on a gluten free diet for 3 weeks now and have been taking probiotics for the same amount of time, but sadly haven't lost any weight so far. I am now adding a prebiotic to my supplements and will keep going on the basis that it can't do any harm.

Other suggestions is something to do with T3 conversion and that T4 only (as in levothyroxine) is not sufficient for some people. My T3 is fine so I haven't really gone into this.

notapizzaeater Sun 14-May-17 11:01:34

I'm really struggling too.

Strummerville Sun 14-May-17 11:21:08

Hi, I have underactive thyroid with high antibody count. I gained about a stone over several years before being diagnosed. Not a huge amount, but I was always slim so it did show and really got me down. I'm back to normal now. Timeline for me was:

Jan 2016 started levothyroxine
Spring 2016 felt a bit better but weight still there
June 2016 gave up gluten, started taking iron, vit B complex, biotin (for crap hair!), cod liver oil
Sept 2016 the extra stone suddenly melted off, energy levels returned to normal

So in summary, something worked. And it took a few months to work, but when it did, it happened quite quickly. I don't know if it was the gluten or the supplements or a combination, or if the thyroxine just took a loooooong time to kick in? So I'm really pleased to feel OK again and to be back to my normal size, but I daren't stop any of the supplements in case of backsliding, and I won't eat gluten again. I'm not a big bread / pasta fan anyway so it's not that hard for me, and I'm used to scrutinising food labels now.

Just my experience.

wendyonthefarm Sun 14-May-17 13:14:29

wineandcoffee yes my T3 is fine, very interesting to know about the Gluten free diet might help,
strummerville thank you so much for sharing what worked for you, I think I will definitely look into trying gluten free for a week or two see what happens, I put on 5 stone over about 3 years before being diagnosed with thyroid, that was 6 years ago and haven't managed to lose anything, just yoyod 6 lbs up and down. I will also try taking some supplements, can't do any harm.
notapizzaeater it is very depressing to see everyone losing a couple of pound a week, when we stick to our calorie intake and nothing not a blooming ounce to show for it

Wineandcoffee Sun 14-May-17 13:46:39

I put on 5 stone over about 3 years

3 stones in 2 years here sad

Lesley1980 Sun 14-May-17 14:22:27

I was diagnosed with an under active thyroid in 2012. I think I had it previously but wasn't so obvious as I exercised so much just to maintain my weight. I had a baby, stopped exercising & rapidly gained 2 stone in a few months & 5 stone in total before they got my dose under control at 150. I've recently lost just over 3 stone & did it with calorie counting & exercise. I used MyFitnessPal to work out my calories & stuck to it for 5 months. Weight loss was steady & I lost most weeks. I bought a fit bit & increased my steps from 5000 to now 16000 a day & I do two bootcamp exercise sessions. My diet is mainly home cooked but no snacking or binging.

revolution909 Mon 15-May-17 21:43:56

I was diagnosed about 4 years ago. Only take 50mg so on a low dose. Only calorie counting and tons of exercise (9 hours a week) did it

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 15-May-17 21:49:24

I've had hashimotos for 8 years.

I was never massively overweight but have recently lost nearly 1 stone by eating better and exercising more.

We had slipped into eating lots of pre prepared food. I have bought all of the lean in 15 books. I'm not following the exercises in them but the recipes are great and we're eating much more variety and fresh food.

I've been doing 2 or 3 exercise classes a week.

People have been commenting on how good I'm looking and that has inspired me to keep going. I'm loving it!

FonsVitaeNutrition Tue 16-May-17 18:27:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

wendyonthefarm Wed 17-May-17 08:56:40

Thank you everyone for taking the time to post. smile you have all done so well and I now know it is possible to shift the extra stones. I shall keep calorie counting and exercise more. Weigh in day is Fridays so fingers crossed 🤞 I will post my results

NathanTheNutritionist Wed 17-May-17 10:33:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now