Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to drink full fat coke and still lose weight?!

(77 Posts)
fizzypopaddict Thu 20-Apr-17 20:48:15

This basically ^^

I'm aiming to lose 10st in a year. Psychological issues with food, don't like much, I eat too much chocolate but I can give that up and limit intake.

Is it possible to lose weight and with 1 can a Coke a day that's full fat? I'd be able to stick to that but realistically I couldn't give it up completely (I drink too much to admit too blush)

DubiousCredentials Thu 20-Apr-17 20:50:38

It's full sugar not full fat isn't it?

MMMckenzie25 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:51:09

If you can swap to Diet Coke instead id try if possible. I believe a 330ml can of coke has about 12 teaspoons of sugar in it- which is not the most helpful thing if you're trying to loose weight. But then it obviously depends what else your diet contains, if that- relatively speaking- your only intake of sugar daily and your exercising too, it may not be the end of the world.

Orchidflower1 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:52:24

Could you mix with Coke Zero? I have same thing with juice - starting to water down.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Thu 20-Apr-17 20:53:16

It's mot fat in come making people fat grin

fizzypopaddict Thu 20-Apr-17 20:53:46

Yeah could be full sugar I've just grown up with it being called full fat. Should have worded it properly blush

Zeitgei5t Thu 20-Apr-17 20:54:45

Calories in - calories out. So yes but you might start to realise that you'd just prefer the extra food instead!

RJnomore1 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:54:58

Yep but you need to allow for the extra calories in your planning.

Some folk say it's easier to lose wait with full sugar drinks than artificial sweeteners actually.

fizzypopaddict Thu 20-Apr-17 20:55:28

Ah never thought of watering it down - that's a good idea!
I like diet version I think it's psychological and I need my "fix".

Madness I know, I gave it smoking and the idea of giving this up is worse.
I'm not normal blushblush

gluteustothemaximus Thu 20-Apr-17 20:57:01

I think it's possible. It depends on the rest of your diet, but I truly believe the way to success is to not cut out every single treat/thing you love.

The way I lost weight and still drank coke was using My Fitness Pal, and keeping an eye on calories. I also got a step counter. Simple calories in calories out, not restricting your diet too much, and exercising.

Lots of luck x

Atenco Thu 20-Apr-17 20:57:03

I disagree with the diet coke suggestion. I am highly suspicious of chemical sweeteners. Maybe you could up your exercise to burn off the sugar from the coke.

UppityHumpty Thu 20-Apr-17 20:57:10

You probably could provided it's less than you currently drink. Not to be mean but if you have 10 stones to lose, you could probably lose weight eating a lot more than someone with 2-3 stones to lose.

Ecureuil Thu 20-Apr-17 20:57:30

Yeah, it just means you need to eat less. You might realise you'd rather have the extra food calories than the coke...

Starlight2345 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:57:31

I think you need to try and find alternative..I drink a lot of bottles of sparkling water...

Any reduction of sugar is going to help..

fueledbybacon Thu 20-Apr-17 20:58:49

Gah calories in calories out is shit ...There's no scientific basis for it. The sooner the better we stop this incorrect dogma. intensivedietarymanagement.com/first-law-thermodynamics-irrelevant/

OP the answer is no. Sugar makes us fat. Remove sugar and lose weight. I'm living proof of it. 7.5 stone down and a year off sugar.

robinia Thu 20-Apr-17 20:58:49

I wouldn't bother swapping to Coke Zero or Diet Coke tbh. I did and it made no difference - in fact I was gaining rather than losing.
But I stopped drinking diet Coke in January, along with properly sorting out my diet, and have lost 2 stone. Obviously this is not all down to Coke but I do think it exacerbates a sweet tooth and encourages snacking.
It was hard the first few days but now, three months later, I don't especially like it any more.

fizzypopaddict Thu 20-Apr-17 21:01:50

Thank you all, I name changed as I'm so embarrassed about this,
Thought I'd get flamed.

I've been on the nhs calorie adviser for my BMI and it's quite high at 2220-2800 a day but I know it's that high because my weight is high.

I don't eat much ( sounds mad I know) I just eat all shit and yeah too much. It's bad habits.

I don't like food with textures/smells etc had cbt and still the same.

fizzypopaddict Thu 20-Apr-17 21:05:09

Wow well done fueled what did you do?

fueledbybacon Thu 20-Apr-17 21:21:13

I cut out all sugar. No grains, no starch, no cereals and no sugar. I'm on a ketogenic diet because I spent 25 years of a low calorie low, fat diet that made me sick and fat fat fat. 18 stone fat. Now I eat loads of fat and regularly eat 2500 calories but I keep losing weight and I've never been healthier.

fizzypopaddict Thu 20-Apr-17 21:27:27

That's fab eek well done, must feel amazing

user1472930477 Thu 20-Apr-17 21:38:20

Calories in calories out is the only thing that matters. Anything else is conspiracy theory delusions. Every time people have claimed that it CICO doesn't work for them and subjected themselves to scientific rigour, the same issues of misreporting intake and inaccurately counting calories come up and prove them wrong.

You could consume nothing but full sugar coke and lose weight. Although it wouldn't be very healthy.

fizzypopaddict Thu 20-Apr-17 22:31:17

I'll look into that user, makes sense. I'm so uneducated with eating

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 21-Apr-17 07:38:23

I fo exactly the same as fueledbtbacon. My calorie intake is high and I've lost weight and kept it off. I'm a personal trainer, it's something I do with my clients and it works. It's quality, not quantity.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 21-Apr-17 07:39:51

If your height is governed by a hormone, why people assume weight isn't? And it's the sugar and high carbs that get your hormones out of whack - hey presto weight gain.

scaevola Fri 21-Apr-17 07:47:23

CICO isn't however the whole story.

Very interesting trial, properly conducted with variables controlled for, including calorific input logged and set at a particular level. Then the fats in that diet altered for one group. Researchers were looking for changes in indicators of heart health. They found them, but they also found that - despite same calorific input - one group lost sight and one didn't.

Now, this isn't a licence to overeat. Too many calories - whatever they are - will make you fat. But it does support the view that cutting out processed food (which is the main culprit for modified fats for many people) can an effect in itself, even if you are not changing overall consumption much.

The human body takes in 'fuel' and expends effort and expels waste, jt it's nowhere near as simple as an internal combustion engine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now