Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone bet on their weight loss i.e. DietBet website?

(9 Posts)
Ebayaholic Tue 18-Apr-17 22:35:24

I was googling how to bet on weight loss as I'm really motivated by having set deadlines and not losing money and came across a few websites where everyone puts money in then you have to lose 4% of your body weight in 28 days. The pot then gets divided between everyone who succeeds, it says typically you get 1.5-2x your money back. There are also longer term games where you lose 10% of your weight over six months.

I've entered two games and paid $35 each through PayPal. It all seems to be above board and I've actually stuck to a low carb diet today as I really can't afford to lose the money but I was just wondering if anyone else has done it and is it legit, i.e. Do they pay up without problems if you succeed? There are a few websites offering it (all American I think) but I chose dietbet.

NewYearNewNickname Wed 19-Apr-17 17:28:40

This is definitely a thing the States but as far as I know there aren't any UK sites. I haven't ever looked into it but I have wondered how they verify that people are being truthful as well as using accurate scales.

NewYearNewNickname Wed 19-Apr-17 17:34:02

And if you are on Instagram the #dietbet has circa 79k hits

Ebayaholic Wed 19-Apr-17 20:02:33

In terms of cheating new year I had to submit two photos, one of which had a special word on that they'd given me to show it was recent. You also had to wear 'airport security' clothes, i wore a light dress with no pockets. It did occur to me that I could have put weights in my tights but I didn't- it's an easy target.

There's quite a lot of support and updates being posted in my group - all seems legit. I've just been to the pub however and did not low carb - I'll start again tomorrow! I can see it being a last minute effort.

Kapoww Sun 23-Apr-17 09:40:09

Hi, I have used dietbet in 2013 and I completed 3 bets. It is completely legit. You don't make much money - I think I made £5 each round from memory! It's a good motivator though. Jillian Michaels has run several bets and has a new one starting on April 28th which I am considering!

NewYearNewNickname Tue 25-Apr-17 07:30:11

I've just signed up to the Jilliam Michaels one. Starts tomorrow (26th) and have to lose 4% of your body weight in 4 weeks which is perfect for me as I go on holiday 2 days after it ends!

NewYearNewNickname Sat 20-May-17 22:30:20

How did you get on ebayaholic?

Ebayaholic Sat 20-May-17 22:45:52

Oh wow my thread has been resurrected! I put three pounds on straight away so had around 11 to lose. This was still the case ten days before the diet ended so I went on a vlcd (diet shakes). One day before weigh in I was 1lb and 300g over so only had two shakes, did a clubbercise class and didn't drink afterwards. I won my diet bet by just 300g, it was a major buzz.

(Disclaimer: I know my tactics were very ill-advised and I don't advocate them to anyone)

I won 30 dollars on top of my 70 dollar stake, but it wasn't about the money.
I'm just about to enter another one, this time I'm going to do a 100 dollar one.

I really recommend it - I wouldn't have lost a pound without it to motivate me. Even if I'd lost my money it would have been worth it.

NewYearNewNickname Tue 23-May-17 07:26:58

Mine finishes this week and at the moment I am 0.9lb over the target. My weight loss has been so frustrating this time (only have a small amount to lose) and I also think that it will be worth it even if I lose the money as it has kept me on track and no more expensive than ww or sw. Obviously I'm hoping I drop that last lb in time!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now