Talk

Advanced search

Can I lose weight on 1800 calories a day?

(5 Posts)
stonecircle Sat 08-Apr-17 19:58:48

So, I'm in my late 50s. I'm 5' 11" and need to lose weight.

Calorie counting has never really worked for me. When I was in my 20s and 30s I was good at just cutting down and only eating when I was hungry. I weighed around 10.5-11 stone then. My weight crept up after children (a bit more after each one). Until the end of last year, I'd been around 13-13.5 stone. However, since Xmas my weight has crept up to just over 14 stone.

Over the past week I've tried calorie counting but only managed to keep down to 1400-1800 calories a day. I've been starving but I have managed to lose 4 lbs.

Counting calories has made me realise where I've been going wrong. For example, I quite often have a small quiche and salad for tea. Had that tonight with spinach and tomatoes so around 480 calories. Previously I would have added in an avocado, some walnuts, olives and a few breadsticks, probably doubling the calories. I think I've probably been eating over 3k calories a day, but disguising them as healthy eating (e.g. large smoothie for breakfast).

Do you think I'll continue to lose weight on 1400-1800 calories a day, or am I kidding myself? I just don't have the willpower to eat less.

JontyDoggle37 Sat 08-Apr-17 20:02:28

As long as you're eating less than before, then yes of course you will, at least for quite a while - you'll eventually reach a point where 1800 calories becomes your 'maintenance' amount and then you won't lose more at that point, but based on your current height/weight I'd say that is a few months away (no offence intended, I've used the MFP app to lose 2.5 stone after a baby and did most of it at around 1800 calories a day - I'm 5'9 and got down to 9st 12 that way)

LapCatLicker Sat 08-Apr-17 20:13:42

If you're usually eating 3k of calories then you will definitely lose weight! i'm like you and probably eat about 3k if I just eat whatever I want and don't think about it. I have done MFP with 1600 calories as my goal but never manage to reach that target, I'm usually between 1800 and 2000, but i still lost a kg in 2 weeks. You are so tall that the 1800 calories makes sense. Those of us who are shorter need less calories!

stonecircle Sat 08-Apr-17 21:01:03

Thanks both - that's encouraging. I'd dipped into the calorie counting thread earlier and was a bit disheartened by the people saying they couldn't manage to eat 2k calories in a day!

JontyDoggle37 Sat 08-Apr-17 21:10:34

stone the things is, after about a month on 1800, you'll struggle to eat a lot more too - it just takes time to adjust your brain and your stomach!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now