Talk

Advanced search

Help for Overeating/Binge Eating

(8 Posts)
Wilberforce2 Sat 08-Apr-17 10:34:47

Just wondering if anyone has ever had this?

I have just been Googling overeating/binge eating (after having a shocking week with food) and came across the National Centre for Eating Disorders website. The whole article on overeating could have been written by me or about me down to every last detail but I have no idea what to do or how to help myself, apparently I can book a telephone consultation through the website but it's going to cost £55!

I have around 4.5 stone to lose but I have tried every diet under the sun an I have failed at every single one, I join SW or WW and come away with all of this hope and optimism only to fail on the second day because I couldn't stop eating crap (chocolate). My husband bought me a block of 10 personal training sessions at the gym and I've done 5 out of 10 so far and have cancelled 4 because I hate it, I hate that he weighed and measured me before we started and is going to do it again at the end but there won't be any difference because I haven't followed his plan and I've lied to him about the exercise I have been doing on my own during the week (i.e NONE). I can't face the gym because everyone is slim and fit and I have squeezed myself into too tight track bottoms. I lie to my husband about going to the gym during the day when really I sit at home and cry and/or eat because I'm so pissed off at myself for being such a failure.

My kids see me eating crap instead of fruit and veg and they are increasingly asking for chocolate/crisps so my bad habits are rubbing off on them and they are only 3 and 8. I try to talk to my husband (who is nice and fit and healthy) but he just tells me to cut out the crap and exercise but doesn't understand when I tell him it's like an addiction.

I need help with this but I don't know where to go or what to do.

If anyone has any advice that would be great.

Thanks!

tygr Sat 08-Apr-17 10:37:19

A friend of mine was in an overeaters anonymous 12 step group. No personal experience but she seemed to think it was helpful.

twofloorsup Sat 08-Apr-17 10:39:28

Wilber I have struggled with this my whole adult life.
This January I started the No S diet.
Google it and see if it might help you.
There is a thread in here somewhere too.
I no longer eat cakes biscuits chocolate and don't even miss it.
I used to live on pudding!
I didn't start it to lose weight but to sort out the binge eating and it's worked for me.

Wilberforce2 Sat 08-Apr-17 10:51:54

Thanks two I will have a Google of it now.

Something has to work surely, I can't carry on like this! It's got to the point where I am turning down invitations to go out because the thought of having to find nice stuff to wear is just too much and ridiculous stuff like that.

twofloorsup Sat 08-Apr-17 10:59:47

I hear you.
I'm amazed by No S it's so easy not even really a diet just a habit former that's really helped me.

GizzyTiedToATree Mon 10-Apr-17 12:32:49

Hello,
I was a binge eater for many years (we are talking about 10,000kcal binges that left me writhing in pain and turned me into a morbidly obese recluse).
I still have a lot of food issues (mainly with emotional eating) but I have not had a binge in years.
The changes came gradually, there was no single lightbulb moment. What works for me is a combination of low(ish)-carbing and exercise. Low-carbing helps me curb the cravings and exercise hugely improved my relationship with my body (and allows me to have cake smile )
I don't go to a gym - I work out at home (I generally use FitnessBlender.com), between 2 and a half and 5 hours a week.

Miniwookie Sun 16-Apr-17 21:07:54

If you feel self-conscious at the gym could you walk or do dvds in the house? I binge eat too and yoyo diet, haven't really got all the answers.

user1494093940 Sat 06-May-17 19:35:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now