Talk

Advanced search

Porridge on diet?

(8 Posts)
MaryPlain59 Sat 01-Apr-17 09:31:12

Is it okay to still have porridge with semi skimmed milk for breakfast every day if you are trying to lose weight?

Checklist Sat 01-Apr-17 09:36:46

Yes, although like anything, it depends how much of it you eat! I might have 2 oz or 60g of raw oats, cooked in water with milk and a handful of berries on top, as part of my Weightwatchers diet. To me, eating enough for breakfast is crucial, because if I am hungry by 10.30 am, I can't concentrate.

MaryPlain59 Sat 01-Apr-17 09:47:12

Thanks Checklist, I don't usually have a big amount of porridge so will stick to the small portion, I am trying to go on a crash diet for a wedding in 4 weeks time and just thought about breakfast this morning, I didn't want to ruin the diet by having it if it was wrong to do while dieting, I am not really mad on porridge but have it for the slow release energy to get through the working day.

imnottoofussed Sat 01-Apr-17 09:49:39

On slimming world you can have 40g of plain oats and 250ml of semi skimmed milk. No bread or cheese/milk products for the rest of the day though.

MaryPlain59 Sat 01-Apr-17 09:52:03

Thanks, that's a great help to know.

delilahbucket Sat 01-Apr-17 17:26:40

Not just about the calorie content in porridge, but oats are extremely good for you. I love porridge but unfortunately a small measured portion does not keep me going until lunch and I tend to reach for a mid morning snack. For that reason I tend to steer clear of it while dieting. I aim for more protein. That doesn't mean to say that the same will be for you though. I know plenty of people who have it for breakfast and don't get hungry.

Noofly Sat 01-Apr-17 18:15:31

I've lost just under two stone since 23/12 and have had porridge (40g) every morning for breakfast, made with 220g semi skimmed milk. I add cinnamon and berries on days that I don't cycle and cinnamon, walnuts and bananas on days that I do cycle. It keeps me full until lunch- Inusually have breakfast at 9ish and lunch at 12:30ish.

popcornpaws Tue 04-Apr-17 11:14:02

I also have porridge every morning, however i make mine with water and add a splash of skimmed milk once its cooked, i don't like porridge that tastes too creamy though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now