Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5 stone to lose...walking and sensible eating enough?!

(12 Posts)
SharkInThePark Fri 31-Mar-17 23:52:54

Just that really I need to lose about 5 stone to from 15 and a bit to 10 and a bit. Got a 5 month old (can't even blame weigh in pregnancy as only gained 10lbs) and ebf so don't want to diet as such and can't get to any exercise classes. Can I do this just by eating sensibly and waking loads?!! Anyway want to join me? I feel like a whale and am totally dreading summer.

BackforGood Sat 01-Apr-17 01:13:32

It sounds like the most sensible way to do it, and maintain it. There are probably quicker ways to lose weight, but the quicker you lose, the more likely you are to put back on IMO.
Near here there are 2 or 3 groups where Mums meet up together and walk with the prams / buggies. Seems like a really good thing - you can make more friends whilst you exercise, and you are more likely to go out and walk if you are meeting someone. If you can't find one near you you could advertise in the Health Cetnre / local FB groups / children's centre / card in a shop window, and start your own! smile
Good luck.

TitaniasCloset Sat 01-Apr-17 01:18:54

I'm in the same situation and its really getting to me. I need to lose at least four stone so shall follow your thread. I just feel so ugly and unsexy. I look at myself in the mirror and think God, what happened to me? No idea where to begin though.

SharkInThePark Sat 01-Apr-17 02:29:59

BackForGood there are as couple of mum/buggy walking groups in my area but I can't go as have my older child with me at those times and she isn't allowed (I checked only babies in Prams/slings can go). Good idea about advertising though. I really so need to make some friends also. Thanks.

Titianias I feel the same about the mirror. I actually only recently had a full length one put into my
House and wish I hadn't. I try to avoid it. In my mind I'm still a size 14 and even then I always was overweight. Now I am just huge feeling. I needed new clothes as down to one pair of trousers and I just didn't even want to go looking. It as so depressing as nothing fitted and the dressing rooms were horrible places to be. Can I be nosey and ask your details re weight etc? No problem if prefer not to say thats fine. I am 15st 3lb and 5'7" and get into size 18 though I do have size 20 for some stuff too. Oddly my underwear is size 16 but guess that sits under my
Mummy tummy blushDo you wish to do some sort of support together on there then? Maybe challenge ourselves to walks/steps? I was considering a Fitbit but can't really justify the cost right now. Am thinking I need to do st least one 30min walk when older dc goes to nursery each day? Or am I better aiming for that 10000 step
Thing? No idea. Also I think I'll start by focusing on cutting out junk (e.g. Chocolate, cakes, etc).

Anyone else wish to join us? I might stick to it if felt I had to "report back" somewhere!

delilahbucket Sat 01-Apr-17 17:32:03

You can do this but be realistic and make sure you really know what healthy is. Cutting out all junk is going to make you miserable. A little bit of everything is fine, in moderation. Learn what foods have hidden fat/calories in. Even when maintaining I avoid cream and pastry and only eat small amounts of fruit.
I lost the first stone by just walking and not changing what I ate. After that I plateaued. Calorie counting was the only way I started to lose more. To be honest, even a couple of weeks of calorie counting can be enough for you to learn what kinds of things to be eating and what portion size.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 01-Apr-17 17:35:56

This is what I'm trying to do at the moment op...I'm almost at the end of week 3. I lost 5.5 lbs the first week and 2.5 the second.

I'm not even doing particularly long walks yet, just half an hour or so a day. I've been really strict so far though and haven't had any treats (no chocolate/cake/biscuits/crisps/take aways or wine!) I'm hoping that once I break my binge eating habits I will be able to have to occasional treat without going completely off the rails, but I'm too scared to try yet!

TitaniasCloset Sat 01-Apr-17 17:47:35

Hi, yes I'm 5'2" and last time I weighed myself months ago I was 14st7lbs no idea what I weigh now, possibly more. I'm a size 18-20 but can wear 16 knickers and leggings. My belly is huge, just massive and I have fat arms and big boobs but reasonably normal legs and bum.

I was thinking of starting to go for a walk everyday too. I would love some support so I'm in!

I was even thinking of going on a protein world shake diet or joining slimming world, but I'm nor sure what's best. My downfall is sugar sweet drinks and alcohol.

Obsidian77 Sat 01-Apr-17 17:50:52

It's probably good for now, especially since you have a young baby and are ebf but long term you might need to do something more strenuous like running or swimming to see a difference. I agree with pps that a steady improvement will be better than rushing into something with high intensity. Good luck.

maisyanddaisy Sat 01-Apr-17 17:52:46

Speaking as someone with a fair bit to lose myself, healthy eating and walking without keeping tabs on calories is probably not enough. Loads of healthy foods are loaded with calories, and it's really easy to eat too much. You could write a food diary and count your cals at the end of the day to see if you're in the right ball park?
Having said that, your baby is still weeny and you need energy if you're bfing so don't be too hard on yourself. And as a disclaimer, I am drinking wine and planning to eat a big pile of chips for tea so I've got a cheek handing out advice.

TitaniasCloset Sat 01-Apr-17 17:54:28

Ooh chips, wine, envy

honeyroar Mon 10-Apr-17 23:53:22

Late to this thread, but this is pretty much what I've been doing since mid January, and I've lost 16lbs so far. I've just cut out sugar, rubbish and am trying to avoid processed and eat home made where possible. I've still had pasta, bread, rice and tons of fruit (loads of bananas and grapes) and swapped from low fat to real yoghurt and butter. I'm walking with the dogs and do a bit of exercise, but nothing extra. I've lost loads of inches too. I've been out for meals, had takeaways, drunk alcohol, had dessert, just now and again instead of going mad! I've a good couple of stone to lose (probably more!) but it feels good to have made a decent start and still be feeling positive. Lots of tips that helped me on the giving up sugar for January thread.

purpleviolet1 Sun 22-Oct-17 20:40:08

OP how have you got on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now