Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sudden large weight gain on diet

(9 Posts)
Itsnotwhatitseems Wed 29-Mar-17 07:08:08

Hi

I have been losing weight since the start of this year and in total lost just over a stone, so slow and steady loss, I am (or was) about 2 stone from target. I feel slimmer, my clothes feel looser so I excitedly weighed myself this morning and to my horror I have somehow gained 9 pounds in a week! I carefully watch everything I eat and eat no more than 1200 calories a day and I walk 10,000 steps a day plus other exercise. The thing is I don't look fatter, if anything I look slimmer, hence excitedly getting on the scales. I am 52 and it suddenly occurred to me there be another reason for suddenly gaining a huge amount of weight and I am a bit scared to be honest. I carry the weight all on my tummy and my mum had ovarian cancer, but she didn't suddenly put on weight, I may be being ridiculous but having literally just got off the scales (and yes they are working, my DD checked them) I am not sure whether I need to get this big gain checked out at the DR or has anyone else had such a large gain when dieting, that had an innocent reason?

TheOriginalChatelaine Thu 30-Mar-17 08:27:11

Considering that a pound gained equates to overeating by 3500 calories and you say your diet hasn't changed I would take another look at the scales. Considering your mother's medical history, have you been offered screening? Perhaps to put your mind at rest make an appointment to see your gp to discuss this. No doubt you will be weighed too. Whatever you do don't be despondent and be tempted to undo the fantastic loss. If you are feeling slimmer and your clothes are looser then you ate continuing to lose. Last week I bought a new set of digital scales as I thought they would be more accurate. The first time I used them I had gained 5lb in a day! Wish I hadn't bothered. I know I'm loosing. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

delilahbucket Thu 30-Mar-17 19:08:02

I wouldn't worry just yet. I gained 7lbs of nothing while on holiday. I knew there was absolutely no way I had over eaten by that much. I think it was water weight. It had come off within a week. Weigh yourself again a few days. If it doesn't disappear as quick as it appeared it may be time for a GP visit.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Thu 30-Mar-17 19:09:04

Wind.

Itsnotwhatitseems Sun 02-Apr-17 13:45:02

its gone! taking another 2 pounds with it, very strange but I'm pleased x

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 02-Apr-17 13:59:38

Did the curtains billow when it went?

grin

Itsnotwhatitseems Sun 02-Apr-17 14:04:46

lol KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Not so much the curtains but the plumbing may well be broken smile

HapShawl Sun 02-Apr-17 14:06:19

Change the batteries in your scales

TheOriginalChatelaine Sun 02-Apr-17 15:50:22

Good news smile downwards and onwards!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now