Talk

Advanced search

Losing weight when you're peri-menopausal

(8 Posts)
Notsandwiches Tue 21-Mar-17 16:00:01

A time of our lives typically associated with weight gain. If you lost weight successfully during your peri-menopause or menopause, what worked for you?

Draylon Tue 21-Mar-17 19:44:27

I'll let you know!

MissSmiley Tue 21-Mar-17 20:10:21

I'm 44 this time last year I found myself a stone and a half up on where I usually am. Tried low carb. Didn't work. Tried loads of exercise. That didn't work either. Last September started ketogenic woe and have lost 20lbs. Easily. No exercise no hunger. I now mix it with intermittent fasting and keeping it really strict. Feel amazing. Look amazing. Sleeping better. Loads of energy.

Loubilou09 Thu 23-Mar-17 07:01:52

Ketogenic is low carb though??? How could it not work but then suddenmy work??

dorothymichaels Thu 23-Mar-17 07:06:06

I'll let you know too. I've put on three stone since ds (now 7). Gave myself a kick up the bum and being strict on weightwatchers. I figure if I don't lose it now it will be impossible when I come out the other end. I'm already peri-menopausal. Night sweats, palpitations, dry skin, but regular periods still. I'm 43.
If not helping with the weight (early days) it is definitely helping with IBS and bloating.

Notsandwiches Thu 23-Mar-17 11:36:09

I think ketogenic is low carb, high fat, adequate protein. I have lost weight this way before (two stone in two months) but didn't realise it had a name. I'm just a sugar addict. If I knocked pud on the head is be fine.

MissSmiley Thu 23-Mar-17 18:49:35

It didn't work the first time round as I didn't realise how carb sensitive I am and was still eating too many carbs. Also I was eating some high carb things without realising.

LaundryFairy Sun 26-Mar-17 21:27:35

I'm 49 and have lost 6 stone.

Haven't eliminated any food groups - just strict portion control, cutting out most sweets and no snacking between meals. I don't calorie count everything, but I estimate that intake in around 1400 a day.

I also do strength training for 30 minutes three times a week and go for a brisk walk on other days. During the last month I've started the Couch to 5K, but that hasn't really changed my weight loss rate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now