How would you react to this?

(8 Posts)
Thistles24 Wed 15-Mar-17 20:04:52

Today in the supermarket DS(5) told me that X in his class had said "your mum's fat, she has a really fat tummy".sad In all honesty, he's right- I'm 5ft 9" and a size 18, but I've been working so hard to get my weight down and have lost over a stone since Xmas, but this comment from a 5 year old cut like a knife. I just managed to hold it together before crying in the car. DH thinks that's a total over reaction, but it's just made me feel so crap.

BIWI Wed 15-Mar-17 20:09:48

There's nothing like honesty is there? sad

But - you've already lost a stone, so you're on your way! Be proud of what you've achieved. Whatever you're doing is working for you. Soon you won't be that person any more

flowers for you

SharkBastard Wed 15-Mar-17 20:12:08

My daughter had this a while back, she told me and I said "yes, I am fat" then asked how she felt about it. She said it upset her a bit, so I said that given I wasn't upset she should worry no more about it but remember that what others look like is none of anyone's business.

I am fat mind so it's no shock

Ecureuil Wed 15-Mar-17 20:12:12

Well... I'm a size 10 and DD recently told me my belly is as big as Father Christmas'.
Yes it's hurtful but you're already on the road to doing something about it. Keep going!

Thistles24 Wed 15-Mar-17 20:21:01

Thanks everyone! Sympathies to those who have also had these comments- it stinks!! Onwards and upwards as they say- I'm trying to use it as motivation to keep going rather than drown my sorrows with a box of malteasers!

Jellybean85 Wed 15-Mar-17 20:24:57

Oh dear, they can be so
Brutal can't they!! Sadly in today's society its younger and younger that kids realise what 'fat' is and they may well have heard their own mum sigh in to the mirror about how 'fat' she's got so they think it's ok confused
Try to turn it into motivation! (Easier said than done I know)
Well done on how far you've come already flowers

KatieKaboom Wed 15-Mar-17 20:46:51

My young daughter loves to tell me I have a fat tummy and a big bum.

I think it's daft worrying about it, tbh.

ASilhouetteAndNothingMore Wed 15-Mar-17 20:48:43

I tell my two my tummy is fat because it grew them and they stretched it!!
Well done on your weight loss so far

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now