Talk

Advanced search

Anyone successfully lost weight /maintain even though DP still eats whatever he wants?!

(17 Posts)
justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Tue 14-Mar-17 16:39:09

Just that really. Although it is down to me I know DP is a big reason I give in to junk.. you know, when it's 2 ft from me!

delilahbucket Tue 14-Mar-17 19:17:48

It takes willpower but yes. My dp will sit eating a bar of chocolate while I eat my apple crisps sad. I have had to accept I cannot eat what he eats and if I want snacks I have to cut back elsewhere.

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Tue 14-Mar-17 19:21:24

Gosh it is so hard delilah. How long have you managed to keep this up? It may give me the power I need!

gamerwidow Tue 14-Mar-17 19:22:21

Yes my DH is currently tucking into ice cream for pudding and I'm going without because I'm watching my weight. It used to be hard watching him eat treats when I couldn't have them but ultimately it was up to me to take responsibility for what I eat. Just because someone else is eating something it doesn't mean that I'm being hard done by if I don't.

gamerwidow Tue 14-Mar-17 19:24:10

It is hard to start with though. You need to retrain yourself, everytime you don't give in makes it easier next time.

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Tue 14-Mar-17 20:21:02

Any tips gamer? I'm thinking that if I am really struggling to perhaps go for a walk.

Easier said than done with a baby to breastfeed but it will only be a short walk I guess.

scaredofthecity Tue 14-Mar-17 20:27:27

Can you have just a small portion to stop the cravings? I do this and let DH finish the portion. I just accept that he is much bigger than me and so needs more food, and he never says no to my leftovers!
E.g. A small scoop of ice cream or half a gu pudding. If you deny yourself you will eventually slip up. That is more for maintaining though, I think to loose you do have to say no completely but it's only for a short period of time, and think about the end game.

I do think it's a headspace that you have to get into though.

WavingNotDrowning Tue 14-Mar-17 20:29:45

well can you do a 5:2 diet? When I do 5:2 I don't eat at all during the day and then eat a normalish meal in the evening. (Sometimes that means just gin and crisps in the evening...).

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Tue 14-Mar-17 20:41:56

scared yes I think I will have to say no completely for a while. There is light at the end of that tunnel.. or a decent slice of cake!

waving have contemplated this but it isn't for me. I become quite wobbly and light headed if I don't eat enough hmm

gamerwidow Wed 15-Mar-17 06:07:30

I find that trying to shift your perception helps. So if I find myself thinking 'I deserve to eat that because DH is having it and it's not fair' and try to turn it around to 'I deserve to be fit and healthy and that cake etc. won't help me

gamerwidow Wed 15-Mar-17 06:08:53

No other special tricks I'm afraid it's just boring hard work but it gets easier with time.

gamerwidow Wed 15-Mar-17 06:18:50

Also eat whatever you are eating mindfully so eat it slowly taking your time to really taste it and enjoy it then you'll be satisfied with less. Finally if all else fails make sure you have a supply of low calorie treats like ready prepared fruit or yogurt (or curly wurlys which is my emergency snack when my will power completely breaks down smile)

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Wed 15-Mar-17 07:26:32

Thanks for the tips gamer smile can't go wrong with a curly wurly!

TheseAreTheGoodOldDays Wed 15-Mar-17 07:51:33

Yep just takes lots of willpower!
I second what a PP said about having some of your own snacks on hand smile
I also try to think of alternatives with meals, so for example I might cook my DP chips but do myself sweet potato, or if he has lasagne with garlic bread I'll have lasagne with one piece of garlic bread salad grin
I also try and cook us the same healthy meals but give him bigger portions, with a couple of slices of bread etc that way I can see that we're eating virtually the same thing (and like someone else said, I remind myself that I don't actually need as much food in a day as he does).
The final thing I do is have a biscuit tin put on the top of my cupboards and pushed back, and that's where I keep biscuits/chocolate for him. It's out of sight/out of mind for me, and I'm usually too lazy to drag a kitchen chair over to reach it (and if I'm that lazy, I obviously don't want a biccy as much as I think I do!)

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Wed 15-Mar-17 08:47:06

Great tips theseare although sadly the latter will not work for me as I am almost 6ft and can easily reach! envy

I might freeze some bananas ready to blend into "ice cream" if I am feeling particularly weak..

DP is, although broad, very slim so I don't see the "he needs more than me" but nevertheless he does so I should keep telling myself that rather than meeting his portions!

I like the side of bread idea actually. Sometimes he doesn't like the healthier meals I make, even the classic meals with a healthy spin, and is left feeling unsatisfied so I will serve his with bread or roasted chips.

TheseAreTheGoodOldDays Wed 15-Mar-17 14:07:56

My DP is very slim too.. I've reached the conclusion that he just has a quicker metabolism than me. So he needs more calories to stay at a healthy weight (he loses weight quickly) whereas I need to keep myself in check and have a smaller intake.
I don't diet, I try and think about whether food is good for me or not, and eat more cleanly overall. Whereas sometimes for my DP I don't think as much about how healthy the food is and try and just get the calories into him smile

delilahbucket Thu 16-Mar-17 17:47:09

@justonesherryformedicinalpurpo
I lost weight over a period of seven months, maintained for a further 18 months and now have been back losing weight for two weeks. I managed to lose 14 kg and then maintain so it can be done. While maintaining I did keep weighing myself once a month to keep myself in check, but my weight never fluctuated by more than a kilo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now