Talk

Advanced search

Fail safe approach for losing a stone in 6 weeks?!

(20 Posts)
whatty Sun 05-Mar-17 09:04:34

I know there will be lots of you who will say- lose weight slowly but surely in order to keep it off- and I completely agree. However... I am going on holiday with my husband and children and parents for a holiday if a lifetime to Australia in 6 weeks. I have lots of lovely summer clothes which I would like to wear with confidence, so want to lose some weight quickly- ideally 1.5 stone- but I would be happy with 1. What should I do? Am a bit limited on the exercise front as I twisted my ankle a few weeks back whilst on a run. It's improving- but probably not up to running. V happy to really go for it on the diet front. What's your advice? Many thanks in advance smile

OnlyWantsOne Sun 05-Mar-17 09:07:52

Massive calorie restriction
Drink lots and lots of water.

SorrelSoup Sun 05-Mar-17 09:11:21

Yeah, don't eat very much. Track on mfp. Focus on meat and veg, and stir frys!

Gbean Sun 05-Mar-17 09:14:03

I've lost 10lbs in a month on slimming world. I'd recommend.

RueDeDay Sun 05-Mar-17 09:24:37

Blood Sugar Diet. It's restricted calories and low carb.

NerrSnerr Sun 05-Mar-17 09:30:57

The only thing that has ever worked for me that quickly is low carbing. It's miserable because I love pasta but for me it works.

AuntieStella Sun 05-Mar-17 09:32:51

One stone is 6 weeks isn't a fast loss. It's a bit over 2lbs a week and that is fine.

But aim for 3lbs, because that gives you some wriggle room IYSWIM.

Aim to eat about 1200 calories, and make much of that fruit, veg and whole grains (ie lots of fibre). Cut out the booze (empty calories, and it's all too easy to let it erode your willpower so you start nibbling of an evening).

Don't worry about exercise, as it's way less important than changing your intake when it comes to weight loss. Do it when you can, because it makes you feel good (which is motivating) and for the other health benefits.

MaryPlain59 Sun 05-Mar-17 10:46:31

Would you mind giving a typical day of low carb meals for those of us like the OP who would like to do this please? Have just googled but can't really understand which foods would be best for breakfast, lunch and dinner and wouldn't even mind eating the same thing every day if I knew it would do the trick to lose the stone for a wedding in six weeks time.

AtiaoftheJulii Sun 05-Mar-17 10:49:15

Try the blood sugar diet?

A friend did it last year and it seemed manageable. She lost two stone and hasn't put it back on.

ihatethecold Sun 05-Mar-17 10:52:26

Daft question. Do you need to know your blood group to do the blood group diet?

ihatethecold Sun 05-Mar-17 10:52:43

Sorry blood sugar diet.

watermelongun Sun 05-Mar-17 10:57:36

Tons of water, cup a soup for lunch and meat and veggies / salad for tea. It's not sustainable long term but for a quick fix it's brilliant.

AuntieStella Sun 05-Mar-17 10:58:45

I might be wrong about this, but I think the 'blood sugar diet' is one of the (several) variants of dieting based on looking at the glycaemic index of foods.

I first came across it in the 80s or 90s under the name of the 'Montignac method" - which had a brilliant chapter in advising which grapes made the lowest GI wine.

So no, you don't need to know your blood group (if this is indeed what you mean) and the general approach is no processed food, high fibre and/or low carb. Certainly no starchy foods

MaryPlain59 Sun 05-Mar-17 11:04:21

Thanks watermelongun that's great. Would porridge still be okay to have for breakfast while doing that or would something else be better?

whatty Sun 05-Mar-17 13:05:04

Some useful suggestions- thanks all. I reckon cutting out drinking and sticking to 1200 calories should be doable. It's the evening snacking which I struggle to cut out. cake

MaryPlain59 Sun 05-Mar-17 15:22:16

Me too! I was just thinking that I will have to buy flavours of crisps that I don't like so that I'm not tempted to eat any ☺

RueDeDay Sun 05-Mar-17 19:06:50

No porridge on the blood sugar plan Mary. Try 2 eggs scrambled on half an avocado, with a smattering of pepper.

RueDeDay Sun 05-Mar-17 19:09:29

And the blood sugar diet looks to change insulin production, especially in diabetics or pre-diabetics, but it's a very good diet for anyone looking for a fast change. 800 calories a day for 8 weeks, focusing on veges and protein. Based on the Mediterranean diet, effectively.

ricecrispies16 Sun 05-Mar-17 21:19:47

Cambridge weight plan

HottySnanky Fri 10-Mar-17 13:23:18

Slim & Save is working for me, it's a VLCD. I've been on it for ten days and lost 9lb so far (got a few stones to lose though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now