Talk

Advanced search

Not losing any weight?

(10 Posts)
Nottsangel2015 Mon 27-Feb-17 09:04:34

So Me and my partner have been on a diet since Monday, I have cut my calorie in take down from what I'm guessing was a whopping 2500-3000 (cake and chocolate addiction and too large portions of dinners mainly pasta based) to 1500. I could go lower but don't want to put to much pressure on myself to start with, I am eating none refined food, I am eating sugar but in the form of fruit etc... using dried fruit and nuts to snack on and have replaced crisps with veg crisps at the weekend for a treat. Our lunches and dinners last week were mostly soups and salads or meat and veg, I've had no cake, biscuits chocolate or anything like that and feel really pleased with myself however getting on the scales today I've lost no weight at all! How can that be?? My breakfasts have consisted of protein weetabix (1) with blueberries/banana topping and squeeze of maple syrup (should lose but can't bare weetabix without it or sugar) my partner has lost a whopping 5lb! He is eating less than me sometimes having no breakfast and only eating a bit of fruit so I guess that's why, I just can't eat that little :-(

I am obviously proud of him and have told him so but am a little down he has lost and I haven't lost a thing. Haven't excercise either so not converting to muscle etc.. partner hasn't either FYI

What am I doing wrong?

Should I be cutting my calories even more?

LisaAlexander Tue 28-Feb-17 15:16:53

Firstly Congrats on making a change!

Here's the tough bit. What are you trying to do?
Are you both the same weight to begin with?
By lowering your calories and still consuming carbs & sugar you're going to still put your body in starving mode and develop insulin resistance.

Those sugars need to go. Dried fruit is like fruit but worse. SO SUGARY. That needs to go. I think overall the diet needs to change, possibly into a Keto diet.

You need to replace your carbs with dietary fibre and fat.

Nottsangel2015 Thu 02-Mar-17 07:19:10

Hi Lisa

Thank you for your reply.

So annoyed that weighed myself today and I've put a lb on, I just don't understand how this is happening when I am eating so much less than before.

There was a stone difference between us, today there is only 4lb difference he's losing a lot and I'm putting it on clearly now :-(

I'm tracking every morsel of calorie I eat and am staying under 1500 I don't want to lower that as I know I will fail.

I probably eat 2-3 portions of fresh fruit a day and on occassjons dry fruit is this so bad? Surely they are better than eating chocolate and cake?

What can i substitute fruit for? X

Nottsangel2015 Thu 02-Mar-17 07:31:13

I've taken a look at the keto diet and think I'm going to give it a try for a week and see how I get on. I just worry that I will fail with a restrictive diet - in the past this has caused me to fail hence why I've decided to just change to healthier eating but that doesn't seem to be working either :/

Thank you for the recommendation x

madmoon Thu 02-Mar-17 07:33:56

Have you ever lost weight before . The reason I ask is my personal trainer told me if you lost weight before and put it on it becomes harder to Lose it again.
I at the moment are on a low calorie diet which I have
1x weetabix for breakfast with protein shake
Lunch of 150g of protein and two fist sized portions of veg
The same for tea but with 150g of potato/ sweet potato.
I am alllowed to portions of fruit and a 150cal treat.
Coffee with skimmed milk and 2litres of water.
I been doing this plus working out ( only 1hr at present a week with pt ) and I lost 14. 2 lb in 3 weeks.

Twopeapods Thu 02-Mar-17 14:41:04

I tried dieting twice last year, following the Scottish slimmers diet which I had done following birth of DD1 and lost 2stone.
However on both occasions even though sticking to the calories i didn't lose any weight.
I have now lost 12lbs in a month by changing what I eT to make up my 1300-1400 calories. I have cut out bread on most days. And have a smaller measured portion of whole grain rice/pasta or sweet potatoes with my evening meal. Gave up crisps (my love) and chocolate etc. (I used to eat these things with my points allowance).
Cutting these things out and doing a aerobic DVD three times a week has been the key. Same calories as what I was on but using it on different things. And I think the exercise has kick started my metabolism into working again. I have a lot to lose (4stone).

fueledbybacon Thu 02-Mar-17 14:47:42

Sugar is all metabolised the same way whether it comes from fruit or from chocolate or bread. It's all glucose in your blood.

Lisa is right. You need to cut your carbs right down. Plenty of green vegetables, good quality protein and enough healthy fat like butter or cream to satisfy your hunger.

It's not easy and the first few weeks are damn hard. Once you start to see results you'll fly!

fueledbybacon Thu 02-Mar-17 14:49:12

You need to do Keto for at least 6 weeks to see any proper result.

At the end of week 1 you'll be in withdrawal and have Keto Flu and be feeling horrid. Once you get over that hump you'll be fine.

I've passed my 1 year keto anniversary and kissed goodbye to 6 stone!

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 02-Mar-17 14:54:07

Are you tracking using something like MyFitnessPal, and weighing/measuring everything?

It's only been 4 days as well, I wouldn't lose heart just yet!

Nottsangel2015 Fri 03-Mar-17 07:42:55

Thank you for all of your replies. Yes I'm a classic yoyo dieter, been on this diet for a week and half and so it is a little disheartening. We are getting married in June so really wanted to try and drop at least 2 dress sizes by the (am a size 18 and biggest I've been)!

We have decided to try the keto diet this weekend once we've food shopped ready. I'm also trying to fit in 4 minimum 1 hour walks in a week but it can be difficult as I work most days. Monday and Wednesday I work from home so going to take an hour at lunch to go for a walk then and then at the weekends. I'm just too tired in the evenings when the children are in bed to do videos etc however we are considering getting an exercise bike from my mum as they don't use it, and doing this in the evenings.

Have done a low carb diet before last year before holiday and lost a stone so I do know it works the keto diet looks harder though as your restricting the protein as well. Think that will be hard.

Those of you who have done this type of diet does it work well with families, ideally want to be able to incorporate meals for them too maybe just buy adding pasta etc to meals for them.

That's an interesting point madmoon I have lost weight many times over the years but do seem to keep getting heavier each time :-(

Using my fitness pal to track calories and weight etc.. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now