Talk

Advanced search

How many grams of carbs per day constitutes 'low carb diet'?

(13 Posts)
NewYearNewNickname Mon 20-Feb-17 13:57:49

I am female, 5ft 5in and weigh just under 10st. I look at my macros on mfp sometimes and that gives me a daily goal of 150g of carbs but I have no idea what people who 'low carb' aim for.
I don't really plan to low carb, I am more curious than anything I suppose.
I'm sure lots of you are far more knowledge on this than me so any info gratefully received.

hollinhurst84 Mon 20-Feb-17 14:39:04

I think low is under 50g, it I remember right the low carb boot camp on here is roughly under 20g

NoTractorsAtTheTable Mon 20-Feb-17 17:33:21

The diet doctor website is also a handy resource for all things low-carb - it labels below 20g as strict, 20 - 50g as moderate and 50 - 100g as liberal, as per this link: How low carb is low carb smile

Under 100g is often seen as low carb. Under 70g will take you into ketosis, which is what burns the fat, and I have no idea exactly what the point of under 20 is!

MyCatsHateMLMtoo Mon 20-Feb-17 17:47:35

I follow a LCHF way of eating and have been for one year come 1st March! I have up to 20 net grams of carbs mostly in the form of green veggies. This enables me to stay in ketosis and be a fat-burner grin.

However, everyone is different so for some a limit of 50g is fine, some people can handle more. Me, I am happy with 20g.

Pop along to the low carb bootcamp threads for more support.

AndHoldTheBun Mon 20-Feb-17 18:06:08

It depends on how your body handles carbs, but I'd say less than 40g (and ideally less than 20g) a day to kick start a low carb eating plan is good.
40-70g a day I'd call moderate low carb, and that's mostly what I try to stick to because any more than about 80g per day makes me hungry (due to blood sugar crash).
I'd call 100-150g a day normal carb (because it's closer to what we all ate a couple of generations ago before the low fat craze), and the typical western diet very high carb!

LisaAlexander Mon 20-Feb-17 19:26:39

Low carb is usually under 100g per day. For Ketosis the limit is 30g per day.

Be cautious when people talk about "net carbs" because in the UK the carb labelling is already "net". In the UK people often resubtract the fibre from the carb level which means that they regularly go over the carb limit by accident.

MyCatsHateMLMtoo Mon 20-Feb-17 20:19:05

My dinner tonight was roasted pork belly (with crackling! Totally lush) = 0 carb

Asparagus = 3 carbs
Roasted turnip chips (roasted in the port fat) = 8 carbs
Spinach (raw) = 0.3 carbs
Home made coleslaw made with cabbage = 2 carbs max
grated carrot = 1 carb max
and Hellmans mayo = 0 carbs
Splash of olive oil/balsamic dressing = 0 carb

I only eat once a day so less than 15 carbs today.

I may have a decaf coffee later with double cream. 100ml of Tesco double cream contains 1.6g carbs but I will use much less than that for my coffee.

It is true that in the UK net carbs are the norm, in the USA the calculations are different.

LisaAlexander Tue 21-Feb-17 10:24:34

You're right. The dietary information is presented differently in the US and UK.

One meal a day feel like too little hmm

MyCatsHateMLMtoo Tue 21-Feb-17 17:27:20

It does doesn't it. However, I only eat when actually hungry nowadays and usually am not at breakfast or lunchtime so I don't bother. It is the combo of protein and healthy fat that keeps me going for hours.

TomHaverford Tue 21-Feb-17 19:39:29

Mycats have you lost weight doing this?

MyCatsHateMLMtoo Tue 21-Feb-17 21:15:44

I have over the year (started generally 'eating less' January 2016 but switched to LCHF/Keto/Banting 1st March 2016 after extensive personal research) reduced my body fat percentage from 61% to (currently) 31% which I am delighted about as you can believe.

Weight loss too, 17.9 to 11.7 which means I am still in the 'overweight' category by .1 (BMI 25) grin. However I feel fantastic and am happy to stick around at this level.

I will continue long term because I feel comfortable doing it, it isn't dieting like I have done for the past forty-odd years, it feels natural. From what I have learned, some people are carb intolerant and present as Type 2 diabetic, or obese, or with other metabolic illnesses.

I fell into the 'obese' category and luckily didn't have any other health issues (except those associated with carrying an extra 80+ pounds that is hmm) before I started limiting carbs.

Do I miss them? I did at first, definitely. They were such a big part of my lifestyle. I could eat and eat ice-cream, biscuits, cakes, chocolate and bread. Bread I adored. But when I eat that stuff I don't have an 'off' switch sad. It is best to leave it alone and concentrate on eating for health and I don't regret it.

It would be lovely to be one of those people who tolerate carbs beautifully (my DH is one of them) and can eat 'just one' biscuit/cake/chocolate/slice of bread etc. It just seems to switch on my appetite in a way that is very self-destructive.

Best thing is I am looking forward to my senior years now (not too long to go lol) rather than fearing them.

BIWI Tue 21-Feb-17 21:19:51

Generally under 100g carbs per day is seen as low carb.

But it depends what you mean by low carb!

If you want to low carb for weight loss, it could be as little as 20g carbs per day.

And point of information - there's no specific limit on carbs in Bootcamp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now