Talk

Advanced search

Anyone on beta blockers?

(5 Posts)
tobee Sat 18-Feb-17 16:01:12

I've been on beta blockers for anxiety for over 2 years. It was supposed to be a temporary measure but my gp left and when I mentioned it to new gp she took my blood pressure and heart rate and said stay on it for now.

Anyway, since starting them I've gained over a stone in weight. A few pounds now and then. Weight gain is not listed in official side effects although anecdotal evidence seems to say it can well do.,

I hate to blame weight gain on meds because if they are good for me in other respects, I want to keep taking them.

I've been doing 5:2 for all this time. But... I don't get it. It doesn't matter if I'm super careful on non fast days or have relaxed days, cut alcohol intake massively, drink freely, have an upset stomach the weight stays the same on a week by week basis. The same stones and pounds. Only when I don't fast do a couple of pounds go on.

I've lost weight in the past successfully. If I'm just not eating right all the time I understand but why are good weeks just as unsuccessful as bad? And vice versa?

I have low thyroid function and am on meds for that. I lost weight successfully while on meds for that. My latest bloods in December were fine.

Sorry for long post is it likely to be me or the beta blockers?

tobee Sat 18-Feb-17 16:02:27

Ps I've tried 4:3 and that didn't make any difference.

MountainDweller Sun 19-Feb-17 00:13:23

I am on beta blockers and am successfully losing weight but very slowly. I can see why they would have an effect as they slow you down generally. I have a lot to lose and I think it's more my lack of will power than the meds although I am on quite a lot of meds... hmmm. Anyway I have lost 5 kilos in a bit under 4 months, v slow like I said, though Christmas and my birthday were also in that 4 months!

I wonder if the thyroid meds are making it hard to lose? I have a friend with under active thyroid and she put on weight on the meds.

tobee Sun 19-Feb-17 21:45:49

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I did lose 11/2 stone while on thyroid meds but that was quite a long time before my beta blockers. I'm finding it hard to stay motivated right now but I just have to deal with that. I sometimes wonder if the slowing down of heart rate from beta blockers and speeding up of heart rate from thyroid meds is confusing my body!

Have you find a type of diet more successful for you while on beta blockers?

MountainDweller Fri 10-Mar-17 00:20:14

Sorry for the very late reply! I am calorie counting on mfp. I find making myself accountable for every bite is the only thing that works! Also I like the idea that nothing is off limits and I can carry on having sugar in my tea and the odd biscuit! As I said it's working but very slowly. I'm losing about a kilo a month. I actually asked my doctor about it when I was in for other stuff and she said my metabolism may be a little slow and it's a good amount to lose. Still feels slow to me though as I have a long way to go! I am on beta blockers for high blood pressure so no chance of getting off them unless, of course, I lose so much weight that my BP comes down!

Yes sounds like your body is maybe confused by the different meds! Worth mentioning to doctor I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now