Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else trying to loose weight with a chronic condition?

(17 Posts)
Mehfruittea Sat 18-Feb-17 13:58:06

Just that really. I have successfully lost weight in the past and kept it off for about 6 years. I lost 7 stone. In the last 12 months I've put on 1st 5lbs.

My chronic pain has got worse and is a progressive condition. I now use a wheelchair. I have not tried to loose weight with being so unable to move around. All weight loss will need to come from dieting.

Anyone else? I just had a light lunch, but was still hungry. Instead of eating more, I've had a meal replacement shake. And a cup of tea.

<ho hum...whistles to herself>

Would anyone like to join me? smile

dnwig Sat 18-Feb-17 14:06:41

Am at my goal weight now, but lost 20kg with 5:2 fasting and am maintaining now. Chronic pain condition has meant that my previous forms of exercise were no longer viable so had to rely on diet alone for weight loss.

BIWI Sat 18-Feb-17 14:11:54

Weight loss is 80% diet anyway, (or 95% according to Dr Jason Fung!), so no need to worry about not being able to exercise.

However, obviously if you're less mobile you will be burning fewer calories, so you'll need to keep an eye on what you're eating.

Mehfruittea Sat 18-Feb-17 14:16:44

Thanks guys. I think I may need to intoduce some fasting days. I like eating though so didn't really want to do that!!

BIWI Sat 18-Feb-17 17:00:46

You could always try 16:8 instead? This means that you have an 8 hour window for meals, with 16 hours where you don't eat - in reality, this means that you leave 16 hours after your dinner before you next eat, aka skipping breakfast.

MountainDweller Sun 19-Feb-17 00:04:15

Hello! Well done on the 7 stone, that's awesome!

I have chronic pain including an injury that won't heal and I'm hoping that losing weight will help. I have a LOT to loose... about 3.5 stone for starters, then probably another one (but I am thinking in kilos). I have lost 5kg so far counting calories with MFP. I like it because nothing is off limits, there is room in my calorie allowance for chocolate and sugar in my tea if I eat sensible meals. My first goal is to get to 90 kilos - 6 to go! Then down to 76 which is 12 stone and I think a healthy BMI.

I think it is very hard to diet when you are managing pain... for a start it's easy to turn to whatever your food vice is if you have a bad pain day, if i take extra pain meds I'm too sleepy to eat properly, and then there's the lack of mobility on top. I can walk a bit and do hydrotherapy with my physiotherapist but I am definitely loosing slower that I would like, but at least I'm loosing!

Good luck, will come back and check how it's going!

73kittycat73 Sun 19-Feb-17 02:34:00

Hi. smile Does diabetes count? (Type two.) I started of at 15 stone exactly and lost 9lbs last month. For some reason this month has been so much harder, but I'm sticking with it (Just about! grin ). I can, and have been, exercising. 20 mins each day on my mini stepper (I've allowed myself Sunday off.) chest exercises with weights one day, stomach exercises the next.
Good luck all. smile

BlankEtc Sun 19-Feb-17 02:44:39

Hi everyone. I have Hashimoto hypothyroidism diagnosed 2 years ago. I have yo-yo'd in the past between a size 12 and a 22 but I never struggled to lose weight when I put my mind to it.

I had been a steady and healthy weight for several years so when I suddenly over 3 months gained 5st (although I was also overeating due to other symptoms) coupled with several other symptoms, I just knew something wasn't right. That's when I went to the GP and got diagnosed.

It's been a roller coaster of a ride trying to understand and come to terms with my condition, and disappointingly, 2 years on and despite the docs telling me I'm on the correct dose of medication, I continue to be very symptomatic.

Often people tell me it could be worse, having hashimotos isn't the worst thing to have. Whilst I agree in part, it doesn't change how I feel like a different person now and I've been robbed of my self esteem. Quite a lot of that is tied to the weight gain which I have still not managed to lose. It's so much harder now as it comes off painfully slowly and I lose motivation.

Anyway, I've somehow managed to lose a stone since January and my motivation is picking up.

Mehfruittea Sun 19-Feb-17 12:36:24

Thanks everyone for your comments, and congrats on weight loss so far!

I personally don't think I can do 16:8. I eat 6 small meals a day, I lost weight that way and literally changed my lifestyle. I can't 'pack in' enough food to keep me going for longer, as my stomach capacity has shrunk. That's where the chronic pain comes in for me. I can't move because I'm in pain, so excercise goes right down. I'm by myself in the daytime, so skip a meal because of the pain. DH comes in and all I want is something to eat RIGHT NOW because I'm so hungry. So my small meals become bread based snacks instead and I'm living on buttered toast and tea cakes. Mmmmm....

So I need better swaps that i can prep myself - bearing in mind i would rather half starve then make my own tea and toast due to pain. So called 'quick' shit that involves ingredients, chopping, standing for 10 mins etc is too much when I can't even find the energy and spare pain capacity to walk down the stairs!

There...that feels better!! grin

73kittycat73 Sun 19-Feb-17 13:04:54

Sorry to hear you're in so much pain Mehfruittea. flowers
For snacks, how about some fruit? Bananas, apples, etc.
Or for a sweet treat, how about these: groceries.asda.com/product/all-sweet-savoury-popcorn/metcalfes-skinny-popcorn-cinema-sweet-multipack/910002489378
Only 51 calories a bag. Not a bad size either, about the same as a packet of crisps.

Mehfruittea Sun 19-Feb-17 21:40:51

Yes your right, fruit is a good snack for me. Will also try popcorn. We have a popper so might pop some in to ziplock bags. Mmm... with salt....yum. Thanks for ideas!

BIWI Sun 19-Feb-17 23:51:42

Just be careful - both of those are really high carb snacks. You're much more likely to gain weight if you're eating a high carb diet.

Mehfruittea Mon 20-Feb-17 10:40:38

Oh no BIWI!! What can I eat then? What low carb snacks can I keep in that need no prep?! I need small regular meals.

Mehfruittea Mon 20-Feb-17 19:45:48

Today I have had

1 buttered teacake
Apple
Pear
2 satsuma
A complan meal replacement shake
Chicken & sausage casserole with rice - large portion
8 cups of tea (sweetener & skim milk)

Planning on have 2 more cups of tea and maybe a snack for 100 ish cals or a shake that is 200 cals

What do you think? If I can keep this up on weekdays, with very little exercise, can I loose weight like this?

MountainDweller Fri 03-Mar-17 23:53:49

Hi again @mehfruittea just checking in to see how you are doing.

The day you posted didn't seem too bad. Have you tried logging what you eat in my fitness pal to see how it comes out in calories? That's what I'm doing. It doesn't keep me on the wagon all the time but it does most days. I like it because nothing is forbidden. If I have a glitch and eat all the crisps I can eat a smaller dinner. Not ideal but means I don't just give up.

Could you make up food for your weekday lunches at the weekend with your DH so you have something wholesome there when you need it? Maybe soup that you could freeze in portions. I make a lovely lentil and veg one, pretty filling and 84 cal a serving so you can have bread with it guilt free!

I am doing ok but losing very very slowly, but at least I am losing. I know I need to be stricter, not eat my exercise calories if I do make it for a walk, and stop falling into the hot chocolate at bedtime! At least alcohol is not a problem as due to my meds I can't drink much.

Here is a 'good' day from last week

B: mixed berries, Greek yoghurt, sprinkle of granola, tea
L: HM smoked mackerel pate (whizz up mackerel with a little Greek yoghurt or Philadelphia, lemon juice and pepper) with ryvita, cherry toms, carrot and a few avocado slices
D: pork chop, a few wedges, roast butternut squash, broccoli
S: more tea, hot chocolate blush

My scales are very erratic, but going in a general downward direction.

My motivation for dieting is to be in less pain - I had an accident 18 months ago and tore the muscle and tendon and the top of my leg. They are refusing to heal so now I have insertional tendinitis and bursitis. Basically ain't sit down for more that a few minutes as it's so painful. I have other health problems too but this is what is making my crazy at the moment.

Sorry have waffled on a bit, hope you are ok. Let us know how you're doing!

73kittycat73 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:21:50

Well today after being weighed I have been a piggy. grin I've eaten a whole pavlova, some lemon meringue pie and a pancake covered in maple syrup. Haven't done any exercises today either. :p Lol Oh yes, the weigh in...I've lost 7lbs. I was hoping for more what with the exercising but that's not bad I suppose. How are you all doping?

73kittycat73 Sun 05-Mar-17 18:24:41

*Doing even, lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now