Talk

Advanced search

Home made cakes? can they be low fat?

(10 Posts)
NormaSmuff Sun 05-Feb-17 09:18:48

or are they lower fat than shop bought?
What can I do?
dh discovered his inner Paul Hollywood, I dont want to put a stop to his efforts, <<aside from pretending to eat his offerings?
Am I doomed?

Pestilentialone Sun 05-Feb-17 09:22:25

You can make fatless sponges. They still have loads of sugar in them and are often served with cream. Just serve with yogurt and berries instead.

NannyR Sun 05-Feb-17 09:26:33

I would aim for them being lower sugar, or at least sugar with some nutritional content e.g. banana cake or apple muffins. Just have a small slice, count it as part of your daily allowance and practise willpower (far easier said than done when you have a lovely homemade cake in front of you!!!)

adagio Sun 05-Feb-17 09:38:25

Hummingbird vanilla cakes are (relatively) high sugar lower fat. Still not healthy though!
Tried for dd birthday based on mn suggestion that they keep a bit better than normal 'same of everything and half as many eggs' cakes.
Taste nice!

Get him to use smaller fairy cake cases (not the big cup cake cases) to reduce portion size, and leave a couple without icing for you.

If you go on my fitness pal you can build recipe by typing all ingredients in and telling it how many portions it makes and it will tell you how many calories/ how much fat etc in each one.

Sunseed Sun 05-Feb-17 09:44:25

I use a recipe book called Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache. The cakes aren't completely fat free as eggs contain fat and some have cream cheese icing on them. But they have different grated vegetables in them instead to replace the moisture that butter would have provided. Sounds a bit mad but really worth trying.

NormaSmuff Sun 05-Feb-17 10:03:10

sounds interesting sunseed

msrisotto Sun 05-Feb-17 11:30:36

Fat isn't the problem in cakes, it's the sugar.

msrisotto Sun 05-Feb-17 11:31:19

In fact, fat isn't a problem generally. Eating fat, doesn't turn into fat, in fact it satiates you.

BahHumbygge Sun 05-Feb-17 11:45:06

The fructose component of table sugar is metabolised straight to fat as soon as it hits the liver, so it's really sugar rather than fat to be cutting back on. (Unless you have a medical condition like gallstones that needs low fat). If you have a look in the Sweet Poison Quit Plan by David Gillespie, there's lots of recipes at the back for substituting glucose in sweet treats in place of sucrose.

Disclaimer... you'll need to wean yourself off sucrose first as glucose is less sweet than you're used to. And you'll need to follow specific recipes, as glucose behaves differently from sucrose as an ingredient.

Have a read of the primary book by DG, Sweet Poison, or watch Sugar the Bitter Truth on youtube to understand the science.

Basically fructose is a turbo charged fuel that instigates a huge insulin release & tells your body to lay down large amounts of fat. Fine in autumn when there's abundant fruit and you're a hibenatory animal who needs to survive the winter. Not so much if you're a modern human with 24/7/365 access to supermarkets with aisle upon aisle of sugary breakfast cereals, pop, juices, biscuits, cakes, yoghurts, ready meals you name it. Glucose is your workaday fuel for the body & is fine to eat in moderation, unless you're doing low carb. The east Asians like Japanese & Koreans have traditionally eaten a high carb diet with tons of rice, but never suffered obesity & t2 diabetes (til recently). Americans & Europeans also eat high carb yet suffer from all these metabolic maladies... the crucial difference in the diet is fructose with the latter.

Fructose is fine to eat if the delivery system it comes with is a piece of fresh fruit, as the fibre in the fruit slows the absorbtion of the fructose so that it's harmless. But juices, fruit concentrates, dried fruit, table sugar, honey, agave, maple syrup etc all lead to a sudden insulin spike. As well as telling your body to lay down fat, it dulls the appetite control hormone leptin, so your brain doesn't get the message that you're full & to stop eating.

acquiescence Sun 05-Feb-17 13:39:59

Have a look at some slimming world recipes if you are ok with using sweetener.

I make muffins for my toddler which are oatmeal (porridge oats blitzed), banana, egg, a little coconut oil and dried fruit. I think they are yummy but I have mostly cut out sugar so they taste sweet to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now