Talk

Advanced search

Just gone into the 'overweight' category

(4 Posts)
Ponderingprivately Fri 03-Feb-17 07:31:30

ok, so the day has arrived where I have put on a couple of extra pounds and find myself in the overweight category according to the NHS BMI for the first time. I am actually quite upset about this although I know that isn't very useful. My BMI is 25.9 so I know now is the time to deal with this before it is anything more.
I am 71.9 kilos and 166.5cm tall, I have struggled to lose weight since my second child was born 18 months ago, and have put on 1.5 kilos since May last year.
Where do I begin to lose weight successfully? I don't feel I would be successful if I cut carbs entirely from my diet. I have already begun the c25k programme and am making good progress, and I walk a lot.
I have a terrible sweet tooth after meal times and really struggle with my self control here.
I would appreciate ideas to kick start a reasonable weight loss, thanks MN.

randomsabreuse Fri 03-Feb-17 07:41:06

Exercise won't do everything unfortunately. I would log what you eat for a few days and really check portion sizes as these can really creep up even if your diet is generally healthy. I lost 4kg since Christmas with exercise (30 day shred and running), dry January and being more aware of portions. I still had some desserts but not often. Cereal and cheese portions were my biggest shock! Trying to eat about 1600kg/day more or less but definitely check your BMR first.

I'm starting from borderline obese so more to lose...

Ponderingprivately Fri 03-Feb-17 08:02:53

thank you random, I don't actually drink so it's not that, but portion sizes could be the issue! My friend suggested that I eat off of the toddler ikea plates to control this so I may try this approach.

randomsabreuse Fri 03-Feb-17 08:44:42

Toddler eating habits aren't easy - I tend to snaffle unwanted food as a means of makung it desirable to little miss fussy, which is less of an issue for broccoli but more of an issue with the biscuits required by the milk ladder!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now