Talk

Advanced search

Can you share your low carb success stories to inspire me please?

(11 Posts)
Twopeapods Tue 31-Jan-17 11:21:27

Hi, I might be a bit late to join the other January threads I'm not sure. I put two stone on last year which was adding to the other two stone that I gained during two pregnancies so have a total of 4 stone to lose now. The doctor told me yesterday I was eating too many carbs and go on a low carb diet. She said just having it with dinner in the evening and not have so much during the day. I think I'm struggling for snack ideas as breadsticks and crackers are out.
Sample menu of what I'm thinking:
Yoghurt and banana breakfast
Chicken/tuna/egg salad for lunch
Lean protein with plenty veg and small portion of carbs for dinner.
Snacks of fruit, tiny bit of cheese, handful of nuts and seeds.

Does this sound ok? Any other ideas?

QueenMortificado Tue 31-Jan-17 11:23:28

I would always have carbs in the morning personally / pre workout to give my muscles some energy through the day

I feel awful if I eat carbs in the evening so tend to have something more substantial in the morning / for lunch and then a light dinner

Contrary to what your doctor has told you but works for me!

Twopeapods Tue 31-Jan-17 11:47:48

I thought it would be easier to have in the evening as making family meals so hoping not to have separate meals for me and the rest of the family.
Do you know if I can add a slice of bread in during the day? Like toast and boiled eggs now and again?

QueenMortificado Tue 31-Jan-17 13:23:21

My view is that you should do whatever is sustainable in the long term. Going from lots of food and carbs to nothing will really knock you out and you'll struggle to keep it up for long

So I'd take smaller steps - ie give up cakes and sweets and white flour first

Boiled eggs and toast sounds great for breakfast, then a salad with lots of protein and some carby veggies (carrots for example) or a single pitta or a wholemeal wrap, then dinner of protein and veggies without carbs

Others may have a different view but that's just my two pence

empirerecordsrocked Tue 31-Jan-17 13:30:24

If you follow a specific LCHF diet, you need to ditch the carbs completley - you cannot add a slice of bread here or there.

If you cutting processed carbs as a way of cutting calories then you can add them in.

The problem is that LCHF you eay the fat to keep you saited that's why you don't get hungry. What you dont want to do it end up eating low carb / low fat - you'll be hungry.

acquiescence Fri 03-Feb-17 20:27:52

I try to this a bit, but within limits. You will not stick to it if you are hungry. If you limit carbs you need to make sure you are getting lots of protein and some good fats. Eggs are a really good option. Omelettes with lots of veggies, hard boiled in a salad, scrambled. You could make egg wraps (Google slimming world egg wraps). You might find an app like my fitness pal helpful to gauge the amount of protein/carbs/fat you are eating.
Lowering your sugar intake is the main thing, sugar is addictive and ice you cut it down you crave it so much less.

My food today;
Breakfastgrinvernight oats with berries and low fat high protein yoghurt

Lunch: veggie sausages, 2 poached eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes
If I have bread with this I get hungry quickly after.

Dinner; tofu, veggies, rice. Lots of chili and garlic.

Snacks: beetroot as I love it, peanut butter on an apple, almond milk cappucino.

I'm veggie, low carbing is easier if you eat meat. Good luck.

To be honest, if you have 4st to lose you should make some decent progress just by thinking about your diet and cutting out obvious things like processed food, takeaways, biscuits etc.

OMGBecky Fri 03-Feb-17 20:46:37

I'm seconding definitely not eating the carbs in the evening. Your body needs them most in the morning when it uses them for energy all day. At night we're (usually) less active. I followed Atkins before my wedding and it was very effective for losing weight...best dieting advice is limit the carbs to low glycemic carbs. Veggies have carbs, but they are the good ones and fill you up too!

Breakfast - veggie omelette or oatmeal, lunch - big colorful salad with some grilled chicken. Dinner - salmon/chicken and more steamed veggies! Snacks - almonds, cheese, boiled egg, Banana and fresh berry smoothie with almond milk.

I always remember reading that you should try to shop the perimeter of the store where the fresh food is, and avoid the aisles where the processed food lives as much as possible. Good luck!! It gets easier after the first two weeks grin

Twopeapods Fri 03-Feb-17 23:14:58

Well it's been 5 full days and I'm doing well. I think it will be hard tomorrow with it being my DDs birthday so we have a cake and are having lunch out on Sunday for it. Although I'm happy to make good choices off the menu.
My menu so far
Banana low fat Greek yoghurt for breakfast
Baked potato with tuna and salad for lunch
Chicken salad for dinner
Snacks fruit, 20g nuts, carrot sticks

This is working for me hunger wise and my weigh in is a Monday so will see what the loss is! Fingers crossed!

acquiescence Sat 04-Feb-17 09:57:01

Well done!

acquiescence Sat 04-Feb-17 09:57:45

Well done!

jarviscockerslover Sat 04-Feb-17 10:09:28

Fruit is pretty much a no on a proper low carb diet, so I would lose the breakfast banana and fruits as snacks. Carrots are also carby. If you want to eat fruit, berries are e most low carb option.
I have been doing low carb high fat for six months but tried to keep my carbs under 30g/day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now