Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Doctor suggesting slimming tablets

(16 Posts)
Thelittlesoldiersmummy Sun 25-Feb-07 20:17:58

I am very overweight I put 6 stone on having my ds and I was already 2 stine over weight when I got pregnant andway he is nearly three and I havent lost any in fact I have put on another 1/2 stone so now I need to lose 8.5 stone!
My Doctore has suggested Slimming pills as I went to her and said I wanted a gasticbanb thingy but I know nothing about them she said there are two types but do they work.... I have been given 4 weeks to lose 1/2 stone before she will give them to me what do you all suggest I NEED HELP !

fireflyfairy2 Sun 25-Feb-07 20:21:01

Forget about tablets. Healthy eating is the way to go.

Go on either the Slimming World friendly kick up the ass thread, or the weight watchers thread [perhaps both? to get a balanced view] & ask for advice. It can be done... if you go on either website there are stories from people who have lost 8/9/10 stone... you will have everyone's support!!

I'd seriously try the healthy eating way before I would think of slimming tablets & gastric bands.

Bobalina Sun 25-Feb-07 20:21:07

what type of pills are they? Are they appetite suppresants or the ones that make you er, shit out your fat intake? Xenicol I think they are called?

Thelittlesoldiersmummy Mon 26-Feb-07 08:34:43

I have tried Waight Watchers and every other diet known to man I am now at the stage where I need more help the Dr has said they can either give me the Xenicol one or the Appetite suppresant one but I dont know whats best?

Blandmum Mon 26-Feb-07 08:40:30

Reductil is one which workd by helping you feel fuller sooner, it isn't a full blown appitie supressant. But it can only work if you use it with a diet. They will only give it to you if you have lost a half a stone on your own, to show that you know what do do in terms of a weight loss diet.

It isn't magic, but it can be a help, in conjunction with healthy eating, for people who have larger amounts of weight to lose.

This drug does work (I worked for the company that designed it)

dabihp Mon 26-Feb-07 08:41:09

a friend of mine took both. Xenical make u poo otu your fat intake, its apparenlty a lovely orange colour adn sticks to the toilet bowl. or and also it can strike at any time, adn soemtimes it can come out before you have had a chance to get to the toilet.

Reductil reduce your appetite and make u feel not hungry. they can cause palaptions, dry mouth, dizziness, sweats, etc...

what about askign your doctor about lipotrim? its a food replacement similar to cambridge and lighterlife, but available with monitoring through chemists?

either way, good luck.

Thelittlesoldiersmummy Mon 26-Feb-07 10:11:54

Can you get lipotrim on prescription? or if not how much is it?

Aloha Mon 26-Feb-07 10:24:43

Some people swear by lighterlife or the cambridge diet. I would try either before having surgery, personally. I know two people who lost around five stones very quickly on Lighter Life.

dabihp Mon 26-Feb-07 17:40:10

not sur eif u can, but it is a pharmacy run scheme thingy, worth asking your gp about , cos Lighterlife is £60 aweek and cambridge is £35.

hoolagirl Mon 26-Feb-07 23:08:48

Have had Reductil, definetly works.

dabihp Tue 27-Feb-07 14:31:58

how much did u lose hoolagirl?

Blandmum Tue 27-Feb-07 14:33:15

On average, people in clinical trials of Reductil can lose around 4-7 Kg more than people on diet control alone.

Thelittlesoldiersmummy Tue 27-Feb-07 14:50:18

and does the docotr do Reductil?

elclose Tue 27-Feb-07 14:55:02

if they are the tablets availible on the nhs they do actually work, my cousin is a sales rep for these and i have asked him all about them, but its true healthy eatin g is the way to go, when you are on the tablets you are expected to eat healthily aswell as some other stuff depends which ones you are on but there is strict criteria to meet and they are not allowed to hand them out to just anyone, hope this helps

Blandmum Tue 27-Feb-07 14:56:18

Yes, it is a prescription only medicine and you have to be (IIRC) obese in terms of your BMI, not just overweight to get it prescribed (I'm not being rude in that description, it is the 'rules' for prescribing). You also have to first show that you can lose (Again IIRC) half a stone unaided becore they will put you on it

Blandmum Tue 27-Feb-07 14:57:46

I worked for the company that made them in the medical information department. I have seen lots of clinical trial data on this drug. It really does work, but only if you also go on a diet. The drug helps you to feel 'full' on smaller amounts of food. It does this by 'tricking' the brain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now