Talk

Advanced search

Social over eating

(10 Posts)
AliceInHinterland Thu 12-Jan-17 22:29:45

I can normally manage my eating when I'm on my own or with my little family, but in larger social groups I go totally to pot, like all my mental energy is used up interacting. I know this is quite common, has anyone found good tactics to overcome it?

Archduke Thu 12-Jan-17 22:32:36

It is difficult Alice, particularly if wine is involved too. I find I either just think sod it, it's one night and am really careful in the day before and after, so counteract all extra cals consumed. Or just be dull hyper vigilant, say no to any booze and choose the healthiest available options.

AliceInHinterland Fri 13-Jan-17 09:27:33

I don't really drink, and often eat instead. Maybe you are right that the odd indulgence doesn't matter, but it's often food I'm not really enjoying, just bland carbs etc, so it seems a shame.

AliceInHinterland Fri 13-Jan-17 09:27:48

I don't really drink, and often eat instead. Maybe you are right that the odd indulgence doesn't matter, but it's often food I'm not really enjoying, just bland carbs etc, so it seems a shame.

BreakingBod Fri 13-Jan-17 11:31:39

I'd be inclined to say tune into your feelings and once you are no longer enjoying the food, stop eating it. I always seem to leave lots of food in restaurants because I won't carry on eating once I start to feel full - there's no benefit to stuffing it in once it's not pleasurable, and they serve such huge portions!

AliceInHinterland Fri 13-Jan-17 18:53:01

That sounds so sensible, I find it hard to do that normally but with the added mix of other people my introspective skills go totally out of the window.

absolutelynotfabulous Fri 13-Jan-17 18:58:55

Watching with interest. Buffets are my "thing". I'm normally very disciplined, but I cannot control myself around a buffetblush. And it's all the carby stuff-quiche, crisps, bread. Why can't I nibble a carrot stick fgs?

AliceInHinterland Fri 13-Jan-17 19:22:34

I eat the carrot sticks too! For buffets in particular I get a weird feeling almost as if I will never get to eat that kind of food again. I can't explain it but I think it comes from party food being a rare treat as a child (rightly so).

absolutelynotfabulous Sat 14-Jan-17 09:48:23

Alice-that's spot on!

AliceInHinterland Sat 14-Jan-17 19:17:00

Well I guess in addition to wanting to know how to stop I need to make sure my children don't end up the same. I don't think the solution is cramming them with party food though. Maybe my mantra should be around having that food if I really want it in the future if I really want it. I do get occasional supermarket sessions where I buy all the nice food I liked as a child almost as if I can't believe I'm getting away with it. My parents weren't even that militant, we had good wholesome food in the house but I had the usual junk in my packed lunch and was allowed to eat what I wanted at other people's houses. Very odd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now