Talk

Advanced search

Sugar

(10 Posts)
kirinm Mon 09-Jan-17 13:58:57

I'm about 2 weeks into my 'change my life' plan. I'm drinking plenty of water, having peppermint tea in the evenings, have cut out gluten, eating meals that are mainly vegetarian and am back at the gym being pretty consistent. I know in the past this has worked for me but it's always been pretty slow at shifting weight. What I've not done before is try and give up sugar. I don't include fructose in that but I do intend to reduce the amount of fruit I eat.

I didn't think I was particularly bothered about sugar but it's now day 3 of having none and I'm seriously craving it!

Has anyone given sugar up and if so, what results did you see and did it take long for cravings to go?

virgospirit Mon 09-Jan-17 15:58:54

probably the best thing you could choose to do towards losing weight and being more healthy. Lots of people have no idea just how much sugar they consume. I don't have any sugar in the house at all but I do have a jar of honey for the odd teaspoon in a cup of tea now and again and for toast occasionally, satsumas and kiwis will cure sugar craving. Breakfast cereals can have loads of sugar in them too, some museli and granolas can have up to 30%, a third of the bag is sugar!!! - I've found a couple of good ones around 15% and one at 6% which are okay to mix together. Milk is also high in sugar so minimum on the cereals and no lattes, black coffee only. Cinnamon works as a good substitute. I've been watching sugar intake for almost 10yrs and the cravings never go - you get used to it but they don't go. Just remember with any cakes and biscuits etc it's actually easier not to eat it that it is to burn it off afterwards! Good luck!

kirinm Mon 09-Jan-17 16:14:46

Thanks very much for the tips - particularly cinnamon. I am pretty good when it comes to meals, i cook from scratch and don't usually have processed foods. I've been pretty bad with snacking and chocolate for a while now though which rather ruins my sensible meals.

I don't drink a huge about of cows milk but do use almond milk in smoothies. Better check the sugar content of that.

Thanks again.

virgospirit Mon 09-Jan-17 16:35:59

Good stuff smile another one is, if you don't already, try to include pulses, beans lentils and quinoa (good for salads) into meals instead of pasta and potatoes etc, they're a lot less starchy. I try to remember to soak a pot of mixed beans a couple of times a week to make lunches from and mix them up with rice.

MollyHuaCha Mon 09-Jan-17 16:42:39

I make porridge with water and then add fruit whilst it's cooking on the stove top - frozen blackberries, fresh raspberries/blueberries or sliced banana. Then serve with a little milk (I use non-dairy milk). Delicious and low sugar.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 09-Jan-17 16:51:14

I did 8 weeks entirely sugar free, it was tough at first but was amazingly easy once I detoxed properly. I would advise you kick the fructose too though, the body can't tell the difference and it will be increasing your cravings. Granulated table sugar is 50% fructose - so it really is just as 'bad' as glucose plus it does all sorts of weird things to your insulin levels and metabolism.
I'm just beginning my 2nd round of 8 weeks - it's harder this time around, I'm only on day 8 but I'm rattling around the kitchen looking for something- I'm not sure what!!
When I was fully in the swing last time. I can honestly say I have never looked it felt so healthy in my entire adult life. I'm looking forward to that again.

Noofly Mon 09-Jan-17 18:57:34

Come join us on the Giving up Sugar for January thread. I'm just about at three weeks since giving up sugary junk food. I'm a bit different to most in that I had an emergency gallbladder operation three days before Christmas and between not being able to eat or drink in hospital and barely eating for the week after, I've managed to kick both my caffeine and sugar addictions without going through withdrawal. I've decided to take this as a wake up call and keep it up. grin

I am eating fruit and I'm not cutting out gluten- just caffeine and biscuits, cakes, sweets, adding sugar to coffee/porridge etc.

Noofly Mon 09-Jan-17 18:59:21

I should add, I've lost 9.5lbs since 22/12 but a lot of that is just post op recovery.

kirinm Mon 09-Jan-17 21:21:16

Thanks thenewage - I will keep fruit to a minimum I think. Too easy to eat.

kirinm Mon 09-Jan-17 21:22:04

Excellent loss noo. Hope you're on the road to recovery. I'll try and find the thread, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now