Talk

Advanced search

Menu for a family of 5

(8 Posts)
carries Fri 06-Jan-17 21:06:30

I need to lose at least 3 stone, my DH needs to lose 8 stone. My dd1 & dd2 (12 & 10) have eaten too much sugar and drank too much fizzy juice this past 2 weeks. We all go back to work and school on Monday. I need to get us all in a maintainable healthy way of eating. I cook from scratch with occasional fish fingers and pizzas at the weekends. Rarely eat take-aways. I would like an idea of meals that are healthy that we can all eat. Don't believe in "diet" industry food btw. Thanks in advance for ideas.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Fri 06-Jan-17 21:18:06

Slimming world type recipes might work. Although you would need to be careful re: portion control if you weren't following it all the time

What is good is that they advocate filling about half your plate with veg.

There's loads of their recipes for free on instagram and on the web

lovelearning Fri 06-Jan-17 21:25:50

filling about half your plate with veg

That's an excellent start

carries

For good health and weight loss

Make veg and the following foods central to your family's diet

Healthy Eating Staples

1. Brown basmati rice

For perfect rice every time, consider investing in a rice cooker

2. Sweet potato

Try frozen sweet potato fries

3. German rye bread (roggenvollkornbrot)

Buy it at Lidl

carries Fri 06-Jan-17 21:43:48

I should add I lost 2 stone 2 years ago (have since put it back on plus a stone) following a low carb high fat diet. Felt great on it but for the past year I've become very addicted to sugar!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Fri 06-Jan-17 21:47:45

Oh - slimming world wouldn't work then. Maybe for your DH and DCs though? There are quite a lot of fish recipes so maybe you could have the fish and green veg (and some butter or full fat sauce) and the others could have it with potatoes

carries Fri 06-Jan-17 21:55:08

Gobbolino - yes I need the good fats to fill me up! Although the massive portions allowed in SW would suit Dh 😊.

foodiefil Sat 07-Jan-17 09:37:57

Made a tomato based sausage casserole last night with Linda McCartney sausages and had sweet potato mash and green beans. It was lovely and filling smile

lovelearning Sat 07-Jan-17 10:26:30

sweet potato mash

Switch from regular to sweet potato

www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/weight-loss/how-eating-sweet-potatoes-can-help-you-lose-weight.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now