Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dinner idea?

(8 Posts)
ghostspirit Wed 04-Jan-17 12:47:43

I need to think of meals that have upto 15 grams of fat. I'm finding it really hard. Last night we had chicken.

I was thinking of shepherds pie. But I want to use standard mince and drain it. As it's cheaper for me. Would this be ok to do? What do people normally have with it?

This is only day 2 and I'm struggling for meal ideas. What ever I have it can't have peppers or onions.

Incase it's relevant i have only just started eating basic veg. hmm.

ghostspirit Wed 04-Jan-17 19:25:58

I'm sooooooo pissed of now I can't even have sheperds pie ffs!!!

Stoneagemum Thu 05-Jan-17 19:46:54

Replace the beef mince with turkey mince. MFP has turkey mince as it at 8 grams of fat per 100g whereas beef is listed at 18g per 100g. Add a dash of marmite for the beefy flavour.

ghostspirit Thu 05-Jan-17 19:50:23

I hate turkey mince sad is the 18g before or after draining

Stoneagemum Thu 05-Jan-17 20:21:05

Before i think, the entry doesn't state drained. Thinking about it standard beef mince is labelled 20% fat iirc so 20g fat per 100g so if you drain it it will be less. You could always weigh the drained fat to see how much has been removed. It won't be an exact science as water is also lost when draining but it would give you an idea.
For example you cook 400g mince so 80g fat, the drained fat and water weighs for arguments sake 50g, take off a bit for the water say 10g so 40g fat has been removed leaving 40g fat behind. If you eat a quarter of this serving it contains 10g fat. (Numbers picked for simplicity I have no idea how much would actually be drained)

ghostspirit Thu 05-Jan-17 20:30:32

That's a good idea. If my brain will stretch grin

Stoneagemum Thu 05-Jan-17 20:45:49

Worth a try, reward is shepherds pie!

Not2bObvious Fri 06-Jan-17 11:12:42

I buy 5% beef mince from Aldi, it needs plenty of seasoning to make it tasty though. I cook it with onions, lots of garlic powder then add in carrots I've boiled in beef stock - adding some of the stock to make a gravy. Does make a tasty dish & not too calorific

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now