Talk

Advanced search

Dieting and fibre - how on earth?

(8 Posts)
crazyhead Tue 03-Jan-17 14:52:11

Hello

I've started counting calories on my fitness pal to lose weight this year - between 1200 and 1500 a day. I am horrified how hard it is to hit the default fibre target of 25 grams per day. I have always eaten plenty of fruit and veg but it isn't enough! So today I'm having boiled egg, toast, grapefruit grapes blueberries and raspberries, a portion of spinach daal, carrot soup and brown toast and a chicken bake with veg and unpeeled new pots and apparently this is still only 14 g fibre. What am I doing wrong?!? I was laughing at my husband who is apparently meant to eat 38 grams!

lovelearning Tue 03-Jan-17 15:04:26

fibre - how on earth?

Healthy Eating Staples

1. Brown basmati rice

For perfect rice every time, consider investing in a rice cooker

2. Sweet potato

Try frozen sweet potato fries

3. German rye bread (roggenvollkornbrot)

Buy it at Lidl

to lose weight this year

Welcome to the Mumsnet Weight Loss Support Group

crazyhead Tue 03-Jan-17 15:13:52

Thank you! I bought rye sourdough this morning so hopefully that'll up me a bit smile

lovelearning Tue 03-Jan-17 15:20:47

If you're serious about increasing fibre consumption and losing weight

Switch to roggenvollkornbrot

You need the whole grain

crazyhead Tue 03-Jan-17 15:23:59

Ok will give it a try!! Dunno if we have a Lidl nearby but we do have a German bakery, so no excuse. Was genuinely quite shocked how little fibre most vegetables provide! Clearly I've been undoing grains

crazyhead Tue 03-Jan-17 15:24:15

'Underdoing'

AuntieStella Fri 06-Jan-17 10:45:38

I aim to exceed the MFP fibre target, as it seems on the low side to me.

I find that eating whole grain crispbreads (such as Ryvita) is a fairly low calorie way of adding fibre.

You can add loose bran to quite a number of things to up fibre without even noticing.

It's worth looking at be fibre content of veg and deliberately choosing a high fibre one. And especially check fruit! As you are discovering 'watery' ones don't have much. Try figs (fresh or dried), prunes and dried apricots.

And if still short of target, take a fibre supplement (such as psyllium - Holland and Barrett capsules are as good as any)

crazyhead Sat 07-Jan-17 15:26:08

Thank you! I managed to get to 44 the other day by upping the legumes, will look into bran as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now