Talk

Advanced search

a mountain to climb - support needed

(11 Posts)
Verticalvenetianblinds Tue 03-Jan-17 08:41:00

I just weighed myself. Haven't done so in nearly a year. I'm 16 stone 5. I'm 5'7 so I reckon 4 stone should be a realistic goal but that is so daunting! I cant walk up the stairs without getting out of puff and have a desk job which is stressful and often eat biscuits to reward myself.
So far I have decided to quit sugar as much as possible and walk more. We'll see how long I stick to it.
I belong to a swimming pool and gym but am petrified at the thought of public exercise at the moment and swimming is slow and i get a sore neck coz of my style so I have a few things to work on and stop using as excuses.
Its motivation that's the biggest problem, every day I start positive, every day I get to a fuck it point 'i'll start tomorrow' but the spiral of not seeing any change means I don't get going etcetc.
Slimming world is a no go, hate classes but I will do mfp.

So after all my excuses and jabbering I'm here to say I'm starting. A little bit a day, small goals. 2017 is my year. I want my kids to stop wibbling my tummy, I want dh to be able to enjoy my body again, I want more energy and I want new clothes!

No more procrastination. My poor dog will actually get a walk every day.

Any help, motivation and inspiration welcome!

OhAnotherNameChange Thu 05-Jan-17 11:38:28

Hi Vertical, how's it going?

We're nearly the same height and weight, I'm doing low carb (again!) as the past few months I've put on nearly 2 stone of the 3 and a half I lost through binge eating sugar and crap! It's so difficult to keep going angry

I've done MFP before and lost four stone in a year, it really taught me about portion control and I got used to eating less and feeling full. Unfortunately this time round every MFP attempt leaves me starving and grouchy, so low carb is perfect for me as it keeps me from snacking on chocolate!

Good luck smile

AuntieStella Mon 09-Jan-17 09:54:34

How did the first week go?

I had to be dragged kicking and screaming towards MFP, because I thought that logging would lead to me putting an undue amount of time into thinking about food is giving it the wrong level of importance. But it turned out to be the best thing I did.

Lolimax Mon 09-Jan-17 10:01:36

Hi vertical I just wanted to wish you luck on your journey and say it can be done. I'm almost the same height as you (5ft 8") and April last year I was 16 stone 2. I was busting out my size 18's.
Today I'm 11stone 11 and a size 12 and fitter than I've been in my adult life (I'm 47). No secret. I ate less and moved more. I used MyFitnessPal and tracked everything and started walking, then swimming and as my confidence grew started Zumba and in September went to spin (omg!).
I still walk now up to 8 miles regularly, dogs love it! There's a very supportive MyFitnessPal thread on here.
Good luck you can do it!

ppeatfruit Mon 09-Jan-17 10:28:19

Yes you can do it of course . I lost the 3 stone that I needed to. With low carbing, healthy eating and Paul Mckenna ( I Can Make you Thin) , I don't like the title, I just wanted to be slim but it is well worth reading or downloading or whatever because he addresses the emotional issues that affect us all.

So I'm maintaining after 4 years which is the best thing because it's soooo easy , no CC or weighing of food or sins or low fat food anything like that grin.

Verticalvenetianblinds Mon 09-Jan-17 18:55:30

It's not going. It's not even a case of it a not going well, it's just not going anywhere at all!! I quit sugar in tea and coffee, of which I drink a lot. Haven't changed eating habits coz I've been working lots, but I thought one baby step at a time.... I've put on a pound! Depressing. So morning walks start with the dog tomoro I think. Dh goes to work at 6 tho so that's gonna take some commitment to do it before he goes (no chance with kids in tow!) and I'm about to order the things I need to get my bike on the go....

Such a large target at the mo, reckon I'll have to view it as a pound at a time but easier said than done (and any reason to find an excuse)

Well done everyone tho, and I love the inspiring stories, more please

OhAnotherNameChange Tue 10-Jan-17 06:31:02

Cutting out sugar in hot drinks is a good start! I used to have 2 sugars in tea and coffee then switched to sweetener for years. Then when I started low carbing I cut the sweetener altogether. I could probably still drink a big mug of sweet tea (I can't drink it anymore without sugar!) but sweet coffee now tastes vile!

I've also started including more herbal teas to try and cut down coffee, especially in the evenings.

I hope you managed to get up to walk the dog, my alarm went off at 5 and I could have cried sad

Verticalvenetianblinds Tue 10-Jan-17 06:58:54

Ds woke up at at 4.45 so I've been peppa pigging instead of walking. Its bread and rice I need to cut down on but the minute I start it feels like a diet so I binge confused I'm starting to get a double chin now too

ppeatfruit Tue 10-Jan-17 09:35:36

The brilliant thing about Paul Mackenna is that it's basically about eating slowly, really tasting and enjoying your food (whatever it is) he doesn't encourage guilt about the 'wrong' foods. When you actually sit down, (no standing up throwing food down your neck [grin grin) ) without a screen in front of you ! It changes your attitude to the food,. So you eat when you are properly hungry (no cutting out meals) and you STOP when you feel full.

It's tricky to get to know the signs at first . What is brilliant is that if you eat mindlessly for a day or a week . Then you can just go straight back doing it when you feel like it. It still works I lost 3 stone doing it and IMO it's for life!! Give it a go !!!!

ppeatfruit Tue 10-Jan-17 09:37:56

There's nothing wrong with whole rice, you have to cook it for a longer time than white rice to get that comfort effect though!

AuntieStella Thu 23-Feb-17 07:22:50

How's it going?

<nosey>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now