Talk

Advanced search

Fat club

(392 Posts)
Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Sun 01-Jan-17 20:03:52

Are you lardy of butt or bountiful of muffin? Would you like to be a healthy weight?

I am a little wary of the threads here, as just when I think I've found a thread to join I see posters wringing their hands that they're a size 10 and must get down below 9 stone six. Which makes me back off thinking: I don't want to be your fatspiration, and I'd rather hang out on a thread where I know that the others, like me, are actually obese or overweight.

The first (and only) rule of fat club is that if your BMI is below 25, have a nice day on some other thread.

For me, I comfortably qualify with a starting weight of 91.8kg. I'd like to get my BMI back into the healthy range - I don't think I'll ever be skinny, but I have about a third of my body weight to lose. I hope to be expelled from fat club before the year is out.

Anyone else want to join?

travailtotravel Sun 01-Jan-17 20:13:51

Me. I am basically lard. I have to get fit and lose weight. I started walking between Xmas / NY and do well. It makes me feel better but takes time - a circuit I've decided to do to town and back is just under 5 miles and takes me just over an hour. I try and swim too.

My issue really us work is a long commute. 2 hrs each way often not home til 8pm.

Oh, and emotional eating.

I can't go on like this. I will get a grip.

JennyOnAPlate Sun 01-Jan-17 20:17:40

Me. I am lard too and mince pies

I weigh 18 stone (probably more now that xmas is done!) Every year my New Years resolution is to get smaller. Every year I fail.

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Sun 01-Jan-17 20:18:27

I think the reason I got fat is my habit of snacking as if I am a cloud of locusts on the biscuit tin rather than a normal person who just takes one. Biscuits, cakes, sweets, chocolate, crisps and random nibbly crap has been my downfall. My meals are relatively healthy. I need to get more exercise too, but find it hard to fit in with work and childcare.

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Sun 01-Jan-17 20:19:16

Jenny and travail, welcome to fat club. Do you want to have a weigh-in day?

Lindor Sun 01-Jan-17 20:21:57

Me. have lost some weight since May 2016, but to be within healthy BMI range still carrying 3 stone too much.

Christmas has been a food fest. I don't usually drink alcohol and have even been drinking most days over the holidays.

Going to try to walk regularly too, and maybe swim

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Sun 01-Jan-17 20:23:51

Welcome to fat club, Lindor. I ate two boxes of Lindor over Xmas blush. Good name.

Chunder Sun 01-Jan-17 20:27:52

I'm 87.1kg, a BMI of 32.3 (down from 44). I've stopped getting my 10,000 steps in everyday and been stuffing my face with junk for the past 6 weeks. I'd like to get back to my healthy(ish) habits from the summer. I logged in to MFP and actually logged some food... although got derailed by the many packets crisps and mince pies I've just eaten...

I'm very unfit, find myself getting out of breath after minor exertion again.

I am pregnant but have been given the go-ahead to lose weight, just as long as I do it slowly and sensibly and don't start a crazy new exercise regime. So walking and calorie counting it is!

beanhunter Sun 01-Jan-17 20:29:41

Me too. Bmi won't be below 25 until I lose 2 stone. Can I join?

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Sun 01-Jan-17 20:34:49

Welcome chunder and beanhunter.

It's pretty impressive what you've already achieved chunder: did you do a particular diet or just apply willpower and sensible exercise?

Juststopit Sun 01-Jan-17 20:57:39

Count me in, got my BMI to under 30 in Sept and it's now crept back up to just over. Going to be cutting back and moving more! I want / need to lose about 20 pounds.

Chunder Sun 01-Jan-17 21:00:34

Thanks. smile Honestly, just walking and calorie counting. At least 10,000 steps everyday and 1,500 - 2,100 calories each day. I wasn't very strict about weighing/measuring veggies and salad and always allowed myself a treat each day which made calorie counting a lot easier. Walking became like therapy for me, it definitely eased my depression and getting 10,000 steps got easy after a few months. Much easier in the summer too! These long, dark nights make me want to sit down and eat chocolate (which is what I have been doing!).

Trying to make a fresh start now though! Charging my fitbit ready for tomorrow.

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Sun 01-Jan-17 21:11:03

I'll follow your example and try the 10000 steps thing. I haven't got a Fitbit but I will get googling. I think I need a bit of a kick to exercise as well as cutting down on the biscuits. I turn 40 later this year so I will have to stop doing la-la-I'm-not-listening to all the health messages, and acknowledge they apply to me too.

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Sun 01-Jan-17 21:12:18

Welcome to fat club juststopit

Msqueen33 Sun 01-Jan-17 21:14:47

I'm very heavy and very depressed. I'm genuinely thinking of going to overeaters anon as I have real issues with binge eating and emotional eating.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Sun 01-Jan-17 21:19:15

I have a BMI of 29. I've started to up my exercise and have been aiming for more than 5000 steps a day, working up to 10000. I've been following the BBC good food healthy eating plan and recording it on MFP.

littlemissfuckingsunshine Sun 01-Jan-17 21:27:10

I have 7 stone to lose to have a healthy BMI but 8 to get to my ideal weightblush

Just bought myself a kettlebell and exercise bike. Got a food shop ordered full of fruit, vegetables and lean meat as well.

Esssa Sun 01-Jan-17 21:27:11

Can I join in? Bmi just over 30 and about 3st to lose. Had decided I'd tackle it after Christmas. Lost some before through healthier eating and more exercise but my health deteriorated and I put most if not all of it back on. Hoping to fix it the same way again now we have got mince pie season out of the way!

travailtotravel Sun 01-Jan-17 22:53:16

I bought some new trainers for walking and some dumbbells. They're less bingo wings and more flaps for jumbo jets. I think that's what's tipped me over the edge the most. That and the bloated bloated belly. It's not right for me.

My husband is an interesting one as he goes all show me the science when I say I am going to try low carb. He used to work in govt nutrition stuff so is a bit of a know it all. I want to thump him with a lump hammer every time he starts.

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Sun 01-Jan-17 23:06:47

Msqueen, blue, fuckingsunshine, esssa and travail, come and join us. I've been telling myself I'd start this when the kids go back to school on Tuesday, but I'm going to see if I can do a few positive things tomorrow.

Sadly I have bingo wings too. Tbh, I have bingo everything... you could get a full house on bingo bingo with my body wink. I'm starting with walking - see if I can do 5k tomorrow.

Chunder Mon 02-Jan-17 06:50:51

Oh, I have terrible bingo wings. Sadly I already have a lot of loose skin on my inner thighs and upper arms and I know it's going to get worse. But I think I would rather be fit and healthy with some extra skin than obese and miserable like I am now.

I think it's so important to find a way of eating and exercising that you enjoy, makes it easier to see it as a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix diet where you can go back to old bad habits once you lose weight.
I also believe that weight loss is mostly the way you eat. I did no exercise at all for the first 3 stone I lost, barely did 2,000 steps, but was strict with what I ate. I only really started exercising so I could eat more calories... but then found I really enjoyed walking and it made me feel great!

It will be dark when I get home from work tonight so will have to meet my step goal indoors. I like Jessica Smith's indoor walking videos on youtube, she's a great place to start, so I will probably watch one of those tonight and follow along.

Have a good day, everyone!

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Mon 02-Jan-17 10:50:52

How do you do your step goal indoors? Do you have a treadmill?

Chunder Mon 02-Jan-17 18:14:05

I have a cross trainer I use most of the time, it can be too hard going sometimes if my knees are sore so I just do one of the Jessica Smith videos on youtube instead, no equipment needed.

katand2kits Mon 02-Jan-17 18:19:25

Another lard arse here. No idea of weight or bmi, but I was 90kg at the start of pregnancy 2, and think I am slightly fatter now. Currently a size 20/22 realistic target for this year is to get into 16/18 clothes. Having a think about how to achieve this!

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Mon 02-Jan-17 20:19:49

First step today was 3 meals and no snacking, but not diet foods as I don't think it's sustainable for me. I spent a tenner on a pedometer in Sainsbury's but it has already fallen off and broken so I'll try something a bit more expensive. I had done about 6000 steps by then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now