Alli / orlistat

(7 Posts)
VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 30-Dec-16 21:07:03

Has anyone had any experience with this?

I bought a 3 month supply (bargain offer at Lloyds Pharmacy online), and am prepping to start it next week.

How did you get on with it?

OP’s posts: |
VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 31-Dec-16 11:10:23

Bump. smile

OhHolyFuck Sat 31-Dec-16 11:45:08

I've taken it before, it really is an aid to losing weight and not a miracle cure but does help focus the bowel mind as you really can't eat anything fatty without dire consequences

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 31-Dec-16 14:18:05

Thank you OhHolyFuck. Did you experience many of the mishaps I've been told to expect? Do I need to keep spare clothes and knickers at work / in the car? Is it that bad?

Lesley1980 Sat 31-Dec-16 22:42:22

I used it 6 years ago with no issues. I was strict with my diet & stuck to the rules so I had no accidents. I even had a McDonalds & it was fine.

The only incident I had was after a Chinese meal with lots of prawn crackers so it was my fault. I went to the toilet at work the next day & it was very liquid. I knew I needed to go so I wasn't caught short or anything. The only thing I would say was it was very noisy & it was a communal toilet so I had to hide until everyone had left & sneak out.

If you stick to the rules it's fine. The weight loss was 1 or 2lb per week so nothing drastic. The threat of pooing yourself in public is a good motivator to eat properly

OhHolyFuck Sat 31-Dec-16 22:57:54

It depends on the person I think - once you need to 'go', it's fairly urgent so as long as you work somewhere that you can get to a bathroom it's not terrible
If you eat sensibly, it's ok but if you are going to insist on taking it and eating oily/fatty foods at the same time though then you may well need a spare set of underwear

WhereHaveYouGinAllMyLife Sun 01-Jan-17 15:01:23

I've previously used orlistat/xenical (which I think is double the strength of the stuff you can buy) prescribed by my dr. You have to really carefully weigh and measure your food to correctly count the fat, I found some things, like avocado, I couldn't eat any amount of, but I imagine it's slightly different for everyone. It did really work for me but I think that's alot to do with how limited your intake is due to the fear grinblush. Good luck

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in