Talk

Advanced search

Diastasis Recti (mummy tummy) and MuTu system

(6 Posts)
PortobelloMum85 Wed 21-Dec-16 15:28:23

Hi all,
I have an almost two year old and am almost back to pre-baby weight EXCEPT for a hard core diastasis recti (the mummy tummy gap between my abs which means I can't ever get a flat stomach sob). I've had it diagnosed and I need to start a rehab programme next year. Has anyone had experience with the MUTU system? Good or bad feedback v welcome!
Thanks vm

CurlsLDN Wed 21-Dec-16 15:29:57

Watching as I think I need this too. I wonder if it works if it's been as long as two years, or if it's supposed to be a more immediate thing?

PortobelloMum85 Wed 21-Dec-16 15:45:56

It says you can do it any time after giving birth (or whatever happened to cause the DR) but I guess the sooner better. For a while I just hoped it would get better on its own but so many people have told me I have DR (a doctor, a physio, a guest at a wedding!) that I need to bite the bullet and get going

littlerose12345 Wed 21-Dec-16 15:53:14

Hello,

I have DR too. I did have physio for a bit but really rubbish at doing the exercises at home on my own!

Off to have a look at the MUTU system!

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Wed 21-Dec-16 16:05:12

I did physio, the exercises were really simple, I think the fact that she got the tape measure out and measured the gap at the start of every session kept me going. It took just over a year to get signed off and apparently I will need to carry on with the exercises for life. it was pretty bad I think, after youngest DC I thought I was going to look pg for the rest of my life!

It's worth doing something IMO...

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 21-Dec-16 16:30:22

Mutu has a lot of fans; I used to be on their fb group before they closed it down, it was full of sucess stories. It's quite time-consuming but stresses a gentle approach to start with, and there's a lot of things you're told not to do (crunches, sit-ups, 'traditional' ab exercises). I did have a bit of an improvement after a few months, although mine wasn't too bad (and my youngest was 14 at the time). If you do an mn search you'll find lots of recommendations. It did seem to over-vomplicate things a bit for me. I started seeing a strength and conditioning coach for something else, so didn't have time to do mutu as well. When ai mentioned my abs to him he pretty much said he wouldn't recommend doing crunches/sit-ups anyway as they're not considered effective. If you could find a decent coach through recommendation I'd do that, otherwise thers's nothing to lose from trying mutu.
You have to do about 20 mins of basic stretch-type exercise every day, plus when strong enough another 25 min workout three or four times a week. Thinking about it, I'd provably look
On youtube or fitness blender for 'no crunch' ab exercises as a starting point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now