Talk

Advanced search

If you are overweight, do people point out that you are overweight?

(2 Posts)
DaughterDrowningInJunk Mon 12-Dec-16 09:31:51

As though you might not have noticed? I am very overweight, but I have lost a bit of weight. I gained a couple of kg recently during a lapse and I've had it pointed out to me that I have gained, yet never had any comments on losing.

People have been mentioning this to me since I was first overweight. I suppose there must be some element of denial in gaining weight but do people genuinely think you can't have noticed that you are overweight? I have asked them to stop but they insist they are just trying to help me by pointing this out as I obviously can't see it. I think they are just doing it to be hurtful.

Does anybody else experience this?

OP’s posts: |
Icouldbeknitting Tue 13-Dec-16 14:14:57

I wouldn't think that anyone was trying to help me by pointing out what's as plain as the nose on my face, I would take it that the comment was intended as a put down. It's fake concern intended to make you feel bad and them feel good. If they've ignored the weight you've lost then that really is the case, if they notice weight changes then they should be noticing it both ways.

Over the years I've had a four stone weight change and it's not been a subject for discussion whichever way my waistline was moving at the time. None of my friends would be so rude (to my face at least) and my family don't care.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in