Talk

Advanced search

Has MFP finally fixed its exercise calories?

(6 Posts)
AuntieStella Sun 20-Nov-16 15:17:34

Long standing issue is that it 'gave' you exercise calories without netting off those already in your daily allowance. So depending on your size/BMR and which activity bracket you chose, it could be anywhere between 10-30% too high.

I input running and walking calories that I've collected from Runkeeper, which also gives you number of calories. And up until a few days ago, the number on both was pretty much the same.

But now MFP seems a fair bit lower. Have they finally netted it off? Because if so, I'll start eating all my exercise calories, not just 2/3 of them!

AuntieStella Fri 02-Dec-16 19:26:38

Posting to bump, just in case anyone spots this (in hope, on a different day, at a different time of day)

Rogeliodelavega Fri 02-Dec-16 20:50:39

Hello, as you can tell by my name I am not a mum but a dad. Sorry if I'm not allowed here lol. So my dw suggested I join mum's net, as I want to lose weight and could really do with some support and help. I'm not fat but a bit podgy. But at 6ft 5 I guess I pull it off well. I'm looking at doing the 30 day shred and was wondering if any of you ladies had tried it and what were ur results if u don't mind me asking

Closetlibrarian Tue 06-Dec-16 13:08:15

Auntie I just don't bother factoring in my exercise calories. Instead, I used a calculator to work out my TDEE based on the amount of exercise I do over the week then I subtracted 500 from that to get my total daily calorie goals (I'm trying to lose that stubborn last half stone - grrr). This link was helpful fitknitchick.com/2015/04/07/calories-burned-during-exercise-should-you-include-them-when-you-track-food/

AuntieStella Tue 06-Dec-16 17:09:23

Thanks!

I've used those calculators, so have an idea of both my BMR and my TDEE. Right now I have my daily allowance set mid-way between the two (to counterbalance the tendency to underestimate portions and overestimate activity levels). And am generally seeking to consolidate the new way of eating so I maintain the weight I am.

(I am however still interested in whether anyone else has noticed a change in the number of exercise calories per activity in MFP).

(Or perhaps I've just imagined it?)

singleandfabulous Tue 06-Dec-16 17:59:21

Hi Rogeliodelavega Wellcome to MN.

Ive done the 30 Day Shred now for about 5 years and theres nothing better for getting in shape fast and keeping in shape.

Its hard to begin with but it works and youll feel so much better when youre at the end of Level 3. Do the diet too and youll be fit in no time.

wrt MyFitnessPall, I find it a ballache at the best of times so i just ignore the exercise and water to be honest. It never keeps my frequent or recent foods and instead offers me things Ive never eaten or ate 5 years ago confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now