Talk

Advanced search

Weight Watchers Breastfeeding and Young Kids.

(6 Posts)
venys Mon 14-Nov-16 20:30:11

Hi. I am currently bf my 8 month old, and also have 2 other children 5 and 3. Life is VERY busy - all I do is look after the kids, try and sort the house and it is often quite overwhelming. So no time or energy for exercise. BUT I am 10kg overweight. I didn't have this problem with the others - probably because they were premature and I was quite active at the time. I successfully lost 25kg on weight watchers many years ago so I am happy with their programme. Problem is I really only have time to get one meal ready for all of us. So the meals have to be young child friendly. I also need snacks on the go..I am.currently living on chocolate and muesli bars - when I know that I should just eat more fruit. Don't really have time to prepare snacks as such like peeling carrots. So my question is - is something like the no count weight watchers programme suitable or is it a lost cause for the time being and I just need to live on rice cakes and say no to muffins and that sort of thing in the meantime?! I really need something I don't need to think too much about.

downwardfacingdog Wed 16-Nov-16 15:23:22

I would do the counting weight watchers plan as it is more flexible. I make eating the same as the kids work by having a small portion of whatever they're having with lots of free veg/salad to fill my plate.

venys Wed 16-Nov-16 23:15:57

That's.a. good idea. I at least said no to Costco giant muffins today that my friend asked me to buy for her. I am sure they would be worth at least 13 points each!

fufu123 Wed 16-Nov-16 23:45:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AcrossthePond55 Thu 17-Nov-16 01:28:01

I found WW to be very good when I was BF as they have (or had) a programme with extra points tailored to nursing mothers.

I agree with downward. With counting you just fix regular meals (with an eye to sugar and fat content) and use WW portion sizes and points. It is a bit of measuring or weighing, but it doesn't take long before you're able 'eyeball' the correct portion. So no fussing around fixing separate meals for everyone. Having a chicken fingers night? There's a points count for that!

buzzlightyearsdinosaur Fri 18-Nov-16 13:03:05

I did WW with small DC's. I snacked on oat cakes and even the ww bars if I needed a sweet kick (they have now changed them so that they are a bit too sweet imo).

Preparation and patience was key, I would cook up batches of food at the weekend or during afternoon nap time. To save time working out points I would use the WWcook book and then divided the meal that was meant for 4 or 6 into separate containers. Later on in the week I just microwaved one up and let the DC's have pizza/fish fingers and chips. Sometimes I would batch cook instead of ironing or other 'painting the Forth bridge' type tasks, I just had to let it all get a bit messy and sort it out later on.

I find exercise very tricky to fit in to the day so I just find excuses to walk a lot, today I had an errand to run that could have been done in the car but I put DS in the buggy and marched off instead.

You need the patience for the weeks when no lbs come off because every moment of your time has been spent been keeping it together at home. Over the space of 18 months I have lost over 3 stone. Progress has been a bit slower that it has been for some other people that I have seen but overall I am very happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now