Talk

Advanced search

what do you do with clothes that do not fit?

(11 Posts)
workatemylife Sat 08-Oct-16 18:35:06

A few years go I lost a lot of weight (3 stone) and I got rid of my 'old' clothes which clearly no longer fitted. Most were cheap / charity shop items anyway - after my last child was born I decided that enough was enough and didn't buy anything new until I had to because I'd lost weight.

I've yoyo-ed a bit since then, and have clothes in my wardrobe that fit 'normal' me and 'slightly overweight' me. Today, DH had the DCs, and I spent the morning trying on everything in the wardrobe and clearing out. Some things were just threadbare, which is no problem. But some are just too big, but by a size or so. I'm tempted to ebay / charity them so that I know that if I put weight on then I have no comfy lycra to hide in! But maybe a safety net is a good thing?

What do you do with clothes that are not quite the right size? In the loft, maybe? or would you just get rid and move on?

LadyB49 Sat 08-Oct-16 18:37:21

I eBay everything.
smile

Ellypoo Sat 08-Oct-16 18:44:53

I charity shop or clothes bank them. Or chuck them if they are really bad.
I have also let some weight & really don't want my 'bigger' clothes available as it would make it way to easy to put the weight back on!

bruffin Sat 08-Oct-16 18:48:17

Charity shop or clothe bank.

NattyTile Sat 08-Oct-16 18:54:02

I got rid of the lot. So I couldn't put the weight back on.

Then I put the weight back on anyway, and now I have 2 pairs of trousers that actually fit, and they're both summerweight, and I am cold.

workatemylife Sat 08-Oct-16 20:20:23

Sorry NattyTile, I had to laugh! That was me last autumn. Linen trousers in November!
I think I'll feel better if I eBay or clothes bank the lot. My 'me' clothes are nicer, they match, and I feel good in them. My bigger clothes are single items rather than outfits, and I never feel so comfortable in them because I know I'm only wearing them to cover up my wobbles. Actually, my greed! My normal weight is just that: normal. If I eat a proper diet, take some exercise, and don't stuff myself with cr*p every day, I don't gain so much weight that my clothes are tight. I've motivated myself in the past by chucking the money I would have given the vending machine at work into a tub and buying a treat with the proceeds. Smellies, candle, clothes, cinema trip... Genuinely there is no need for a second wardrobe. Just don't laugh if you see me in linen trousers next month grin

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 08-Oct-16 20:28:42

Pull out everything that are good brands or brand new with the tags on, check it is immaculate and then Ebay. Charity shop the decent stuff and clothes bin the rest.

Flisspaps Sat 08-Oct-16 20:38:13

Charity shop or clothes swap.

I used to eBay stuff but it's a faff and takes me forever to get round to.

Sleeplessinmybedroom Sat 08-Oct-16 20:45:42

I've lost 4.5st this year. Ive ebayed some stuff, given some to my Sister and charity shopped some. All I've got is stuff that fits me now. As soon as I drop a size I get rid.

PinkFreesia Tue 11-Oct-16 12:42:53

well, I have this problem I'm very happy to say and i'm running out of clothes. so, I keep stuff that is a size to big and wear around house, school run, gardening, parks etc and keep the stuff that fits (not much of it) for nice places. everything else is in the loft because I hate to say it, I've lost weight before and not having clothes doesn't stop me eating.

SesameSparkle Tue 11-Oct-16 19:19:05

I've dropped quite a few sizes over the last 4 years. I've tended to hold on to the next size up only, and gradually got rid once I've dropped 2 sizes below. I maintained at size 14 for ages and ages, and at that point threw out all of my 18s and 20s and 22s, holding on to just a couple of really nice things in 16s, and recycling a handful of select worthies by getting them taken in.

Then due to other life stresses, I gradually gained back 1.5st over 18m. In response, I started mfp in April. Over 6m I've gone past my previous lowest weight and now wear a size 12, interspersed with the occasional 10. I've removed most of the too big size 14 stuff from the big wardrobe in my bedroom. However apart from culling the stuff that doesn't bring me joy, I've largely just stashed them all away. At some point in the future I might choose to take in some specific items (most things can't be altered) or give away, but I'm still not quite ready for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now