Talk

Advanced search

Getting my mind straight

(9 Posts)
Julietsnurse1 Wed 05-Oct-16 18:14:38

ok, I'm a food abuser. I've tried lots of diets but can never make that life style change.

I need to, badly.

I'm now using food to avoid having to make certain decisions that anyone else, or most people, would say would be self evident. But I can't face them.

I've name changed for this as a few people know me in RL.

How do I stop?

Msqueen33 Wed 05-Oct-16 19:06:04

I'm following. Despite feeling disgusting I'm having trouble stopping. I use food emotionally and I also have strong craving and have a lot of food addiction signs. I'm trying to drink more water to fill me up.

Julietsnurse1 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:20:33

I'm sorry that it's like that for you too but it is comforting to have companionship in (self-inflicted) adversity..

Msqueen33 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:33:34

Awful isn't it. I sometimes wish I couldn't physically eat or shut off the switch in my head. It's always nice not to feel alone 😀

user1475242805 Thu 06-Oct-16 17:18:56

What's your why ?

Ask yourself why you want to be fitter and healthier...

Then write it down ....

Then ask why again and keep asking until you get to the real root of the problem then you can start to make some changes

Give it a whirl

Julietsnurse1 Thu 06-Oct-16 23:45:57

Hmm, useful. Will try that.

Anyone else got tips?

I usually sabotage myself at the end if the day. Dunno why my will power fails then.

Msqueen33 Fri 07-Oct-16 03:18:17

I'm an end of day person. I don't know why or what it is. I feel disgusting most of the time with my weight and can't work out why I keep failing.

MummyTheTramEngine Thu 13-Oct-16 21:41:55

I was like this, I used overeating as a crutch and self sabotaged and I had some counseling which helped me work out why i was choosing to behave that way- I've since lost almost 2 stone in 2 months, haven't binged or eaten badly or even felt the need to since August. I know it's early days but I feel I've changed my dis functional relationship with food.

The reasons I was doing it were multiple and complex but some of them were:

-sexual assault- if I'm fat no one will want to attack me (although I know that's not true intellectually, this was definitely motivating me)
-wanting to believe my weight wasn't my fault, therefore wanting it to be impossible to lose weight
- not wanting to make my overweight mum feel bad
- telling myself I was somehow superior to people who care about their looks, as I'm not "shallow"

These reasons are ridiculous written down but because I wasn't addressing them they had power over me.

OrlandaFuriosa Sat 15-Oct-16 11:28:12

Mummy, that's brilliant, I certainly know some of why I eat. I need to address them.

And I eat when I'm not hungry. Did so yesterday. V irritating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now