Talk

Advanced search

Stress and boredom eating

(17 Posts)
Letmesleepalready Wed 31-Aug-16 16:32:01

I was meant to be losing weight these last few months and instead have put on so much that all my clothes are tight. It's all due to self control, but has anyone got tips on how to just stop snacking? I can't seem to be able to have just one biscuit or one chocolate, I'll easily eat a whole packet a day. I know I retreat to the kitchen when the kids are getting a bit much (I'm an introvert) but surely there's things I can do to stop pigging out. Every morning I think I'm going to be good today, and by 3 o'clock I've eaten everything in sight. It's so stupid! I'm hoping that when the eldest starts school next week I'll have a better routine but I'm not convinced considering this past year!

CheshireChat Thu 01-Sep-16 02:36:18

Can you just not buy treats like that? That's the only thing that works for me.

Also, I tend to eat when actually I'm just thirsty so having a big glass of water instead of snacking might help.

Letmesleepalready Thu 01-Sep-16 06:02:35

The problem is we have the biscuits for the kids, and when they've had there, I finish the packet! blush
I definitely need to drink more, I keep forgetting!

Maursh Thu 01-Sep-16 06:08:07

I have found the secret to weightloss is not to have any sugar EVER! It is the only thing that works for me. Melts off and I don't even have to think about it. So rather than one biscuit, try a whole bowl of celery sticks with hummous smile

Letmesleepalready Thu 01-Sep-16 06:42:35

I've been thinking of giving up sugar, that sugar free farm program was really interesting! And it's definitely my biggest issue, massive sweet tooth!

MoJoMo Thu 01-Sep-16 11:02:54

Hi. It sounds like you already know what your triggers for reaching out for snack food are - boredom and stress. Instead of beating yourself up about not having enough self-control etc, what about either brainstorming ways to distract yourself temporarily so that the urge to snack passes and/or brainstorm ways you can meet your needs to be less bored and manage stress/stressful situations? I bet you can think of one thing you could instead of going for the snack food. Give it a go. What have you got to lose?

Letmesleepalready Thu 01-Sep-16 11:51:35

You're right, I need to plan for alternative things to do! It's just become an impulse now - kids not behaving = eat, kids fighting =eat, kids finally being quiet =eat.

CheshireChat Thu 01-Sep-16 12:03:43

Could you keep some visual cues on the fridge/ cupboard so that it reminds you of your goals? It can be anything, a leaflet or the picture of something you'd like to wear.

MoJoMo Thu 01-Sep-16 12:10:10

Yeah. You see the pattern. You are in a habit loop - reacting to the same stimuli over and over again in the same way. Once you become aware of what you do habitually/mindlessly - then you can choose to do something different. Awareness is the first step - but awareness without the judgemental inner critic voice. So when you next notice yourself doing that just notice it - wow, isn't that interesting, here I go again grabbing for the snacks because the kids are fighting. At that point you have the choice to not grab for the snack food and to do something else instead - and with practice, you will break that habit loop. Look up Charles Duhigg online on 'the power of habit' and you may be interested in looking into mindful eating as an approach to deal with mindless and emotional eating habits.

Letmesleepalready Thu 01-Sep-16 12:17:07

I'll look him up, thanks!
I was thinking of putting a photo up, but tbh, I think I need triple locks at the moment grin
Definitely need to break the habit as it's been building up this last year mainly, since DD2 can now join in with the fights and tantrums.

MrsDesperado Thu 01-Sep-16 19:47:38

You're not alone Letme, I too could have written your post. I don't have any suggestions unfortunately but will also be reading up on Charles Duhig as MoJoMo suggested.

My main problem right now is that I recognise it for what it is - but its often too late that I remember so the damage has already been done! For example, the kids will stress me out, so I will rush to the kitchen and stress each several biscuits and then only afterwards when I question myself about why i did it, I'll realise it was in response to the kids. This makes me feel a bit stupid, tbh. I suppose that is a true habit and I also suppose I need to learn to be more mindful. Food for thought.

Letmesleepalready Thu 01-Sep-16 20:51:03

That's exactly it Mrs Even happened today, more than once! Ridiculous when I think about it, but it's definitely going to be hard to kick it!

Purplebluebird Thu 01-Sep-16 21:03:21

I so do this! No idea how to stop it, but I MUST lose weight before Christmas, both before my physical health as well as my mental health (going somewhere special on holiday then)

Mrstumbletap Thu 01-Sep-16 21:31:23

If I had crisps and chocolate in the house I would be exactly the same. Try to get rid of it all. So the only snacks you can have are fruit, low calorie yogurts, rice cakes etc. Same for your DC, if they want a snack they can have fruit or peanut butter on toast etc. If they are snacking on chocolate regularly they may end up with a weight problem themselves.

Drink lots of water, know what your trigger foods are, so mine are bread and chocolate, I would eat a whole loaf of fresh bread I love it so much, and I can't eat one or two squares of chocolate, I eat the whole bar. so I only buy bread or chocolate occasionally.

And know what times of day you are at your weakest, so mine is in the evening after dinner when I'm watching telly. So I paint my nails, which can take an hour. Or have a low calorie massive hot chocolate as its filling.

Letmesleepalready Fri 02-Sep-16 09:51:32

My worse hours are mid afternoon, when everyone is tired and cranky!

MoJoMo Fri 02-Sep-16 10:51:26

Also look up Michelle May MD, and Geneen Roth.

Coldhandscoldheart Sat 03-Sep-16 19:34:50

This is really interesting, thank you. I chomped my way through an enormous quantity of chocolate and sundry other stuff yesterday child was grizzly for no obvious reason and I was tired & fed up.
I am recharging over the weekend to start afresh on Monday. Probably.
And will reading the links.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now