Talk

Advanced search

Mid forties weight gain...help!

(21 Posts)
AfternoonNapsAreTheBest Fri 19-Aug-16 14:36:00

Over the last few months I've noticed that I seem to be putting on weight. Nothing too drastic and I'm not overweight, but a lot of clothes aren't fitting, particularly around my backside! I've been pretty lucky I guess in that I've never had to watch what I eat before. Had 2 kids and went back to how I was before, I haven't changed what I eat, so I'm not sure what's going on.
I exercise now (running), and have done for about a year, and wonder whether the weight gain is an age thing. Is this it, so I have to spend the rest of my life on a semi diet?!!!!

AfternoonNapsAreTheBest Sat 20-Aug-16 00:08:00

sad, no one?

Octopus37 Sat 20-Aug-16 07:36:00

I'm the same, I am 41 and my weight had gone up the last couple of years, Fir me age is one of a number of factors. Like you I went back down after my kids and I do a lot of walking. I started lo carbing nearly two weeks ago and have list five pounds, Ibthink for me this might be the answer.

Greatdomestic Sat 20-Aug-16 17:44:49

My weight gain has also ramped up in the past couple of years. I was between 9 and half and ten and a half stone since my teens. Now as I approach 50, I am nearing 11 and a half, and frankly am a bit shocked that I can't seem to shift it. I joined a thread on here in May to loose half a stone, and didn't make it. I guess I am really just kidding myself about the amount I eat.

AfternoonNapsAreTheBest Tue 23-Aug-16 23:10:05

Hello both, sorry for not replying, I'd given up on anyone posting! Seems that middle age spread really is a thing!!!' Might have to give up biscuits (or at least cut back!). Is low carbing manageable?

Oldisthenewblack Thu 25-Aug-16 15:34:58

If you've been running, could the weight gain be muscle rather than fat? Running can increase the muscle mass in legs and bum so perhaps it's that? It's deceiving though, as the increased muscle pushes whatever fat you already have outwards, thereby creating the illusion of being bigger. Which, in a sense, you are, but not necessarily in a negative way, if it's muscle.

Just a thought. On the other hand, it could just be lard grin I know, helpful....

AfternoonNapsAreTheBest Thu 25-Aug-16 20:05:25

Old, I am loving your thinking!!! grin

Oldisthenewblack Thu 25-Aug-16 20:37:03

I do know that when I train with weights, I get bigger. I don't mind so much around the shoulders and chest, but legs get bigger, and because they are cough a bit lardy already, they just look even lardier grin

Apparently, we do require less calories as we get older, which is a bummer. I'm 47 and have just, grudgingly, started to reduce my calories a bit. But god, how I want to live on cake and buttery toast shock

oldlaundbooth Thu 25-Aug-16 20:39:45

Low carbing is the best. You don't feel like you are dieting.

Have you tried MFP? Check where you are consuming?

AfternoonNapsAreTheBest Thu 25-Aug-16 23:02:55

What's MFP?

PatsHatOnTheCat Thu 25-Aug-16 23:15:38

My Fitness Pal (MFP) has helped me lose 2.5 stone in 7 months. I had no idea just how much I was overeating and the total calories I was taking in until I started using it. What an eye opener!

I definitely had middle aged spread - my weight was all round my tummy and hips so I went for a daily target of 1200 calories and exercise for 20 minutes 4 times a week.

It worked grin. As well as the weight coming off, I lost 7 inches off my waist and 5 off my hips.

Tried low carb, that wasn't for me. Struggled with 5:2 as well so I just ate less and better foods. Now I'm almost at goal weight I've upped my calories to 1370 and will go to 1600 when at target so I'll always have to watch what I eat I think. I was slim until I hit 40 and could eat anything.

Good luck. It's a PITA but doable.

PatsHatOnTheCat Thu 25-Aug-16 23:16:12

That was longer than I intended. Sorry blush

BagelGoesWalking Thu 25-Aug-16 23:16:30

MFP is a free app which you can use to track your food/drink intake and any exercise.

You put in your weight, age, target weight and length of time to lose (eg a year) and then it recommends a daily calorie amount. You can also set carb/fat/protein %s and see daily breakdown of what you've eaten in those criteria.

It's very useful. I've manage to lose 11kgs since Jan by using that and a fantastic group set up following a thread on Mumsnet (of course!).

I had never had to diet and weight had crept up over the last 3 years (age 50 now) and I wanted to lose before menopause and just because I felt very "chunky". MFP is v helpful as it's very easy to underestimate your calorie intake overall and it makes you think about what you're eating. I recommend it!

BagelGoesWalking Thu 25-Aug-16 23:20:56

PatsHat that's a really impressive loss over such a short time.

I'm happy with what I've lost and only really want to lose another couple of pounds. I wish I'd measured when I started instead of just weighing, so I could compare. I've definitely gone down a jeans size, nearly two. Would have gone down more but I really hate exercising so haven't done as much as I should.

AfternoonNapsAreTheBest Thu 25-Aug-16 23:29:02

Ooo, that sounds like a really good idea, will have a look at it, thank you!

PatsHatOnTheCat Thu 25-Aug-16 23:32:02

Thanks and well done yourself bagel. MFP really does make you think as you say. Amazing app.

Billyjoelene578 Thu 25-Aug-16 23:43:07

I've had similar experience, starting when I was about 45, i'm steadily gaining weight, when I probably eat more healthily than ever before, and was prob more active. I looked up 'metabolic rate and age' or a similar phrase on the web, and found tables that tell u, for a given gender, height and age, what your calorie need per day is likely to be....and it drops significantly with age!
I didn't know this before - always assumed middle ages spread was due to less activity, and too much nice cake! But you just need way less food as u get into ur 40's and 50's apparently.
So if I want to stay the same, I only need 1400 calories a day now, not the approx 2000 of a 'standard' adult woman. And to lose weight gently, I need to get down to 1200 or less...I've lost about 10 pounds twice in the last 5 years with concerted effort, but it's hard to keep it off...at least now I understand why tho!
Thought u might find it useful to look up what u need too, if ur planning a weight loss attempt. Good luck!

BackforGood Thu 25-Aug-16 23:55:47

Interesting. I'm 52 and quite horrified at the weight that has piled on over last 7 yrs or so.
I'm lucky in that I've always eaten what I wanted and never done any serious exercise (although was quite active generally just running around at work and after the kids), so this has all come as a severe shock to me, and I have little idea about what calories are in what foods, and the amount of exercise I need to do to try to start losing some of this lard.
I will have a look for MFP - thanks for the recommendation.

Limurz Mon 26-Sep-16 19:33:48

Yup 48 and have this new and dreadful roll around my middle. I exercise 3-4 times per week and dont eat takeaways - i just cannot loose this excess weight. Very depressing!

user1475242805 Fri 30-Sep-16 14:49:56

A few tips to help you all....

- Up your daily activity, walking 10,000 or more steps a day will wonders for burning calories.

- Exercise, in particular some resistance training is perfect, Ie weight training, Body weight exercise.

- Eat Protein at every meal ( about a palm- size ) Veg palm size and keep Starchy carbs to a cupped handful.

- Aim to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night too

This will help with portion sizes or meals

www.precisionnutrition.com/calorie-control-guide

Hope that helps

user1475242805 Fri 30-Sep-16 14:50:58

If your not losing weight then I suggest tracking your nutrition the likelhood is that you are at maintenance so you will need to eat less to keep losing weight ( there is less of you now )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now