Talk

Advanced search

What is the ideal waist size for someone who is 5ft 7?

(20 Posts)
HedgehogHedgehog Wed 03-Aug-16 18:21:51

Ok so im doing slimming world. Ive been doing it for a while and lost quite a lot of weight. I wanted to fit into my wedding dress which i now do.
Im not at my goal weight though, i have another stone and a half to go till i reach that.
My current waist size is 28 inches and i cant work out what dress size that is does anyone know? It says all different things wherever you look.
I was wondering do people think its worth getting smaller than this?
Maybe i should set my goal weight at the size i am now if its generally thought of as slim? Do people think that 28 inches is a good waist for someone of 5ft 7??

Viviene Wed 03-Aug-16 18:46:52

What is your goal weight then? With a stone and a half to go your waist would be much smaller. At 5ft 7 a 28inch waist is quite small imho - I definitely wish I'd have that! ;-)

Ni58 Wed 03-Aug-16 20:14:06

I'm a bit taller than you, my waist measurement is quite small but my hip measurement is big. So, it depends on your body shape and how your weight is distributed. If you lost another 21lbs, your waist would be tiny!

HedgehogHedgehog Wed 03-Aug-16 21:01:17

am a pear shape and very flat chested with small ribcage.... all the weight is on my hips and thighs. My goal weight is 9 stone.
So 28 is slim then? Its so hard to tell im so used to being big that i still feel big!!! xx

Ni58 Wed 03-Aug-16 21:07:34

What do you weigh at the moment?

HedgehogHedgehog Wed 03-Aug-16 21:10:50

10 and a half stone x

Ni58 Wed 03-Aug-16 21:16:27

On the NHS BMI calculator, you're a really healthy 23 at your current weight.
At 9 stone, you would be 19.7 and only just into the healthy bracket.

Ni58 Wed 03-Aug-16 21:19:18

If you're happy, healthy, your wedding dress fits and you feel slim... I'd say you've achieved your target! Maybe now's the time to just consider how to adapt your 'diet' to help you maintain.
Congratulations, by the way! When's the wedding?!

HedgehogHedgehog Wed 03-Aug-16 22:23:10

Thankyou!! its september the 20th. So not long! Yes i think maybe ill loose a few more pounds and leave it at that x

SesameSparkle Thu 04-Aug-16 00:02:25

If you want to work out your dress size then take your bust, waist and hip measurements and then compare against the size guide for the brand you prefer to shop - go to the online store. Every brand will be slightly different as they are aimed at slightly different women. In general the 'grown up' brands tend to have a more pear shaped size block, whilst the youth and European brands are more aimed at straight up and down or apples. I've just done this to work out what size I am now as I've recently lost a few pounds. My waist is now just about 80cm which fits most of the size 14 size blocks. Yours is about 10cm less than mine which I reckon would make your waist a size 10 for many of the same brands. But you'd need to also compare your hips and waist to get a better picture. And even then much would still depend on the style of the garment, and how generously the manufacturers tend to cut - despite my dimensions I've actually bought a lot of size 12s lately.

datingbarb Thu 04-Aug-16 00:16:02

I'm 5"6 and a half and my waist is 27, I'm a size 8, Im more long and straight rather than having a waist and hips

HedgehogHedgehog Thu 04-Aug-16 17:08:44

Ok right so it looks like its about a size 10 then i guess a 28 waist. Which is fine isnt it! x

Artandco Thu 04-Aug-16 17:16:38

I have 23 waist, size 6-8

TitaniasTits Thu 04-Aug-16 17:21:52

Blimey, I was exactly the same weight, height and BMI as you for my wedding, and my dress was a size 14.

CatherineDeB Thu 04-Aug-16 17:27:24

Art - how does your weight relate to the OPs then?

I am the same height as the OP and can boast to having had a 23 inch waist. Apart from I am not boasting at all, because at the time I weighed a very unhealthy 6 stone 10 after working like a slave whilst completing my final exams, being very anemic and coming down with shingles.

I ended up having two months at home and being prescribed awful calorie intake drinks.

CatherineDeB Thu 04-Aug-16 17:27:47

Height not weight in first sentence obvs.

Artandco Thu 04-Aug-16 17:28:45

I'm 8 stone at that size

MiaowJario Thu 04-Aug-16 17:39:23

Isn't it expect an inch off your waist for every 7-10lbs lost? So expect 2 or 3 inches off for another 1 1/2 stones lost.

I think ideal waist measurement for attractiveness to the opposite sex based on studies is more related to hip measurement than height (although obviously frame size can be related to height). Ideal waist measurement is roughly 2/3 of hip measurement.

CatherineDeB Thu 04-Aug-16 20:05:59

No idea.

But at 8 stone the OP would be underweight at her height. Anything less than 9st 7 and as well as looking thin I am too thin for my health, energy levels drop, anemia worsens, periods become odd.

Having been too thin at various points in my life through illness and working too hard it isn't something I am looking for.

OP 9st is too little weight imo, also pear shaped here.

HedgehogHedgehog Fri 05-Aug-16 21:53:42

slimming world said 9st was healthy for my height? its not the lowest weight theyl allow you to be although that is a few pounds under at 8 stone 10.
Tatianastits i think its dependant on your body shape and where you carry weight as well as they style of your dress. Mine is only fitted around the waist and bust which is the smallest part of my body. So i guess thats why its a 10. If i were to buy trousers i may well be a size 14. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now