Breastfeeding and extreme dieting

(10 Posts)
GipsyDanger Sun 10-Jul-16 11:12:36

My ds is 4 months and ebf. I gained 2 stones during pregnancy and need to lose a further 2 to get back to my goal weight and a healthy bmi. I lost this weight previously through LighterLife. It works for me, my body loves ketosis and I need the strick rules and no cooking that it involves. However, I don't want to bugger up my supply, or do anything to hurt ds. I'm planning to wean around 6 months, do I hold off another 2 months and just do damage limitation. I have lost sweet FA through breastfeeding, coupled with having to recover from a c-section and near constant cluster feeds I am practically glued to the couch. Advice welcome.

GipsyDanger Sun 10-Jul-16 11:14:01

The extra weight I'm carrying makes exercise difficult, losing a stone or so on LL would make that hella easier.

user1468158079 Sun 10-Jul-16 14:58:16

Yes you hold off. the nutriance in the milk will be severly reduced . are you weaning because you want to lose weight? id try slimming word which is great for bf mums and keep bf. you CANNOT under any circomstances be in ketosis when breastfeeding it releases dangerous toxins into the breastmilk.

GipsyDanger Sun 10-Jul-16 16:15:04

Thanks, I was trying to research online but couldn't find much info. I want to start weaning for me going back to work

user1468158079 Sun 10-Jul-16 16:53:36

Okay smile Aslong as you do know your allowed to have pump breaks at work, and even if you dont want to do that, you could still nurse at night, its hard work going back to work, and that nursing at night could help you both smile

GipsyDanger Sun 10-Jul-16 17:00:30

That'd be nice, to nurse at night. I would have to pump in the toilet, we literally don't have anywhere else private

user1467322495 Mon 11-Jul-16 09:08:25

I went back to work when my little one was 3mths and managed to negotiate flexi hours which meant I could feed her before I left for work and again at dinner time and through the evening (just expressed enough for her to have during the day). Although it was tough still doing the night feeds when being back at work. Just do what works for you. I know you can't do LighterLife when your exclusively breastfeeding, but maybe get in touch with them once you've established your new routine? I know how it is when you've found something that works for you x

KeepsAwayTheNargles Mon 11-Jul-16 10:04:23

Definitely try out Slimming World. When my DS was over 6 months - so still BFing a lot but also having some food - I did 5:2 but with 1000cals on the "fast days" which worked well and I lost 2 stone over about 3 months, so may be worth a try when baby is a bit older?

He's now 21months and still BFing but obviously gets most of his nutrients from food now, so I've just restarted 5:2 but properly, at 500, to lose more weight to get down below pre-baby weight hopefully...

user1468234673 Mon 11-Jul-16 12:02:20

Hi ladies, 5:2 is a great way to go. Once you've stopped BFing give LighterLife's 5:2 plan a go. I've lost 1 and a half stone so far and am feeling great.

Junosmum Mon 11-Jul-16 16:33:48

If literlife/ ketosis works for you try low carbing - atkins or that other one. Literlife/ any VLCD will screw your supply and result in making you very ill. I've done similar diets in the past and they work well for so I'm definitely not against them generally but they do not mix with breastfeeding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now