Talk

Advanced search

Gaining weight and can't lose it - help?

(6 Posts)
BeingClea Thu 07-Jul-16 09:40:37

Since my mid-20s, I've had a tendency to gain weight easily if I over indulge, but was lucky enough to lose it quickly once I got back to normal eating. However, maybe it's my age - I'm now late 30s - but my weight has been creeping up and up and cutting back on my (minimal) indulgences has done nothing.

I say weight, but I don't actually weigh myself so I don't know how much I've gained. But my "fat day" clothes are getting tight and going by appearance alone I reckon I'm at least a stone overweight, maybe more.

For reference, I'm 5'7, and the least I've weighed in my adult life is about 9 and a half stone, the most is around 12. I'm comfortable at around 11 - I'm big boobed and curvy, so I'm never going to be skinny and am fine with that. But right now I feel unattractive and self-conscious about my appearance.

Thing is, I don't have an unhealthy diet - at all. I don't snack, I don't eat junk food, I never eat crisps, cake or biscuits and rarely eat chips. Meals involve lots of veg, often fish, and rarely red meat. I eat chocolate, but we're talking a couple of squares of dark chocolate maybe four times a week. I've cut back on my drinking to a few glasses of wine at the weekend, and I've stopped having nice cheese in the house, because that's my big "can't stop eating it" weakness - but even that I never bought often.

I've tried 5:2, but found I obsessed about food and ate more than I normally would on non-fast days as a result. I've started it again this week but am finding myself unpleasantly fixated on food again.

I don't exercise as such - with two pre- school kids at home I find it hard to find the time or energy - but I'm reasonably active and walk everywhere.

I like food and cooking, and eating with my family, so a very restricted or limited diet wouldn't suit me. Do any of you lovely people have any wonderful suggestions or secrets to share please?!

OP’s posts: |
1frenchfoodie Thu 07-Jul-16 21:52:28

Hmm, tricky. How are your portion sizes? As your diet sounds good might it just be too much volume? I think it is going to be hard to lose weight without identifying why it is going on in the first place so it could be worth while keeping a food diary for a few weeks first.

Can definately empathise with the obsession induced by 5:2. My DH's downfall is also cheese. I'm reduced to hiding it in the fridge while he is trying to lose weight (low GL).

MrBoot Thu 07-Jul-16 23:47:50

Have you tried putting your food into My Fitness Pal. I got a big shock when I started counting my calories. I just started doing 5:2 again this week. When I previously did it, I didn't bother counting calories on my NFD and although I lost a few pounds, I always put them back up. This time I have calculated my TDEE and to be frank, I am shocked when I get to a certain time of the day and realise that I am nearing the end of my daily allowance.

snapcrap Fri 08-Jul-16 06:18:58

It's just the calorie occasion. As MrBoot said I 100% guarantee that you are eating too much, even if it is healthy, even if you don't eat cheese etc etc. As soon I started tracking and weighing the pounds started dropping off. I was you two months ago - thinking why the hell can't I lose weight, it mt must be my age but since I went on MFP (you can use any calorie counting type method though) I have lost 1/2 pounds a week.
Also do NOT overestimate exercise, it really doesn't burn off as much cals as people seem to think.
If I could stand on a soapbox and yell at people to stop with the stupid step counting I would (in fact I'm going to start a thread about it)!! It's great to get walking and get fitter but all these women that think a few thousands steps equates burning off half their calories are deluding themselves!

snapcrap Fri 08-Jul-16 06:19:36

Calorie equation not occasion grin

BeingClea Fri 08-Jul-16 09:04:14

Um, ok, I'll try keeping closer track of calories and how much I'm eating.

I did really well on my fast day yesterday but now all I can think about is foooooooood!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in