Talk

Advanced search

Gaining weight and can't lose it - help?

(6 Posts)
BeingClea Thu 07-Jul-16 09:40:37

Since my mid-20s, I've had a tendency to gain weight easily if I over indulge, but was lucky enough to lose it quickly once I got back to normal eating. However, maybe it's my age - I'm now late 30s - but my weight has been creeping up and up and cutting back on my (minimal) indulgences has done nothing.

I say weight, but I don't actually weigh myself so I don't know how much I've gained. But my "fat day" clothes are getting tight and going by appearance alone I reckon I'm at least a stone overweight, maybe more.

For reference, I'm 5'7, and the least I've weighed in my adult life is about 9 and a half stone, the most is around 12. I'm comfortable at around 11 - I'm big boobed and curvy, so I'm never going to be skinny and am fine with that. But right now I feel unattractive and self-conscious about my appearance.

Thing is, I don't have an unhealthy diet - at all. I don't snack, I don't eat junk food, I never eat crisps, cake or biscuits and rarely eat chips. Meals involve lots of veg, often fish, and rarely red meat. I eat chocolate, but we're talking a couple of squares of dark chocolate maybe four times a week. I've cut back on my drinking to a few glasses of wine at the weekend, and I've stopped having nice cheese in the house, because that's my big "can't stop eating it" weakness - but even that I never bought often.

I've tried 5:2, but found I obsessed about food and ate more than I normally would on non-fast days as a result. I've started it again this week but am finding myself unpleasantly fixated on food again.

I don't exercise as such - with two pre- school kids at home I find it hard to find the time or energy - but I'm reasonably active and walk everywhere.

I like food and cooking, and eating with my family, so a very restricted or limited diet wouldn't suit me. Do any of you lovely people have any wonderful suggestions or secrets to share please?!

1frenchfoodie Thu 07-Jul-16 21:52:28

Hmm, tricky. How are your portion sizes? As your diet sounds good might it just be too much volume? I think it is going to be hard to lose weight without identifying why it is going on in the first place so it could be worth while keeping a food diary for a few weeks first.

Can definately empathise with the obsession induced by 5:2. My DH's downfall is also cheese. I'm reduced to hiding it in the fridge while he is trying to lose weight (low GL).

MrBoot Thu 07-Jul-16 23:47:50

Have you tried putting your food into My Fitness Pal. I got a big shock when I started counting my calories. I just started doing 5:2 again this week. When I previously did it, I didn't bother counting calories on my NFD and although I lost a few pounds, I always put them back up. This time I have calculated my TDEE and to be frank, I am shocked when I get to a certain time of the day and realise that I am nearing the end of my daily allowance.

snapcrap Fri 08-Jul-16 06:18:58

It's just the calorie occasion. As MrBoot said I 100% guarantee that you are eating too much, even if it is healthy, even if you don't eat cheese etc etc. As soon I started tracking and weighing the pounds started dropping off. I was you two months ago - thinking why the hell can't I lose weight, it mt must be my age but since I went on MFP (you can use any calorie counting type method though) I have lost 1/2 pounds a week.
Also do NOT overestimate exercise, it really doesn't burn off as much cals as people seem to think.
If I could stand on a soapbox and yell at people to stop with the stupid step counting I would (in fact I'm going to start a thread about it)!! It's great to get walking and get fitter but all these women that think a few thousands steps equates burning off half their calories are deluding themselves!

snapcrap Fri 08-Jul-16 06:19:36

Calorie equation not occasion grin

BeingClea Fri 08-Jul-16 09:04:14

Um, ok, I'll try keeping closer track of calories and how much I'm eating.

I did really well on my fast day yesterday but now all I can think about is foooooooood!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now