Talk

Advanced search

food addict??

(7 Posts)
BlindMeFromTheSun Thu 09-Jun-16 07:49:52

Do you think it is possible to be addicted to food? I wonder if there is anyone else out there or if there is any learnt wisdom that could be shared? TIA

snapcrap Fri 10-Jun-16 06:24:59

Yes of course it is. It's an emotional addiction. As many people have said in the past, the problem with being an overeater is that you can't cut out food from your life like a drug or drink addict can, you have to eat to live.

Have you looked up Overeaters Anonymous?

BlindMeFromTheSun Sat 11-Jun-16 08:44:36

Thank you for your message. No I haven't, had never heard of it - will do that now. Thank you.

sleepwhenidie Sat 11-Jun-16 08:53:31

I think it is possible to be addicted to certain foods (usually involving high levels of sugar). But saying you are addicted to food is a bit like being addicted to breathing or sleeping. I think the number of people actually addicted to certain foods is pretty tiny. More likely is Binge Eating Disorder, which has a biological aspect (usually involving a diet/binge cycle that can be hard to stop) but is also tied up with mental health, emotions and self esteem. There's a long running support thread in Health/Eating Disorders that you should look at and see if it resonates smile

purplefox Sat 11-Jun-16 15:39:00

Have a look at: authoritynutrition.com/food-addiction/

foodaddict Sun 21-Aug-16 21:49:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BIWI Sun 21-Aug-16 21:59:27

foodaddict I've reported both your posts. Stop spamming the boards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now