I'm 5ft 7.5 inches and weigh 11 stone and am 38 % body fat and feel very big what about you ?

(18 Posts)
dustwhatdust Mon 16-May-16 09:55:32

Spurred on by a previous thread I'm amazed at the differences with people's heights and weights . People much slimmer than me are much heavier and vice versa....
It's very obvious I am over weight when I'm naked I'm 38 % fat and now at 56 I can't loose despite trying . I'm prepared to
be happy with 10 and a half stone ... If only !!
What about you ?

LizardBreath Mon 16-May-16 10:16:18

I am pretty much the same-am also over on the 10lb to lose thread. 10st for me is 'OK' look best about 9'9.

Present weight of 10'10 is defo too much on me, very clearly overweight!

Frostycake Mon 16-May-16 11:25:02

I'm 5'61/2" and weigh 10 10 and body fat is 24% (got it tested on Saturday). I am 'big' though in every sense of the word. Muscular, broad shouldered, size 8 feet, hands like shovels (I sound lovely)!

I look my best at around 10 stone or just under but no chance of that as 50 approaches.

At the moment I have a belly roll when I sit down (not good).

InTheSandPit Mon 16-May-16 11:36:29

Intriguing!
I'm one of the "surprisingly heavy" ones from the past thread.
I'm 5'7. 13 stone, and according to my bathroom fancy pants scales, 39% fat.
So, if my maths is right (and the scales accurate!), I'm carrying an extra 8lb of fat, but an extra 2 stone in weight. (And 5 stone total fat shock, never thought of it like that before)

Yes, I'm over weight, yes I know it, but I was shocked by how small some of the numbers were in the previous thread. 10 and a half would be my best weight. I'm aiming just over 11 as achievable and sustainable.

NattyGolfJerkin Mon 16-May-16 11:55:48

Women naturally carry quite a high % of body fat compared to men (to sustain pregnancy and BF), even slim women. Men are naturally leaner with a greater muscle mass. An average sized, average lifestyle woman has a body fat % between 25-31%. Compared to the average man at 18-25%.

I don't know my own body fat % (my scales are the old fashioned type). I am 5'7" and 59kg (9st 3lbs). I'm quite a small build naturally (small wrists and ankles, sz4.5 feet) but relatively big boobs (32F). I look best at about 54-55kg but the extra 4-5kg don't really bother me.

dustwhatdust Mon 16-May-16 14:42:08

In the old days I was 9 stone 7 lbs (before 42 and baby !)and was quite slim but I'd do anything NOW to be 10.5 or 66kgs !
I know for a fact that 39 % fat is far too high and you can really see it on my body -imagine taking a palate knife and smearing an extra layer all over particularly on limbs -yuk !!!
You other guys sound quite svelte and I'm sure Inthesandpit that 11stone for you would be just right or even 11.5 you'd be happy .

ItsJustPaint Mon 16-May-16 14:49:32

I'm similar too

Age 48, 166cm and 10 stone 1 so my BMI is in the healthy range ( albeit top end)

I'm very happy with the way I look, and don't particularly want to loose any weight apart from my stomach < sigh > which is what I want to concentrate on loosing weight / toning

However my body fat is 33.6% which upsets me. A third of me is fat !!!

And I had my cholesterol measured and it was 5.8 ( limit is 5) so it's time to do something...

LimpidPools Mon 16-May-16 14:50:48

How do you find out your body fat percentage?

ItsJustPaint Mon 16-May-16 14:55:47

I think ignorance is bliss limpid

My woes all started when dh bought a Fitbit scales just after Christmas

Before then I was happily getting through each day oblivious. Now I know the fat reality

Onlygingergothinthevillage Mon 16-May-16 15:08:35

Well I'm 5'7" and 12st 4 at the moment, I think I've just tipped into my 'uncomfortable' zone. Bma is 34%. I feel tiny @ 11st. I'm a 12/14 depending on where I buy my clothes. I'm fairly in proportion and have large hands & feet. Looking to loose 7lbs.
I guess someone of us just carry weight differently to others!

oldlaundbooth Mon 16-May-16 15:12:18

Yes, I'm with Limpid, where do you get your body fat measured?

daisydukes34 Mon 16-May-16 15:17:31

5'6 7stone 3
Have a history of eating disorders though. I like to think I'm recovery but in reality I know that's not true.

NattyGolfJerkin Mon 16-May-16 15:22:43

Re how to find out your body fat. You need special scales. Either home ones or the electronic ones in Boots or at the gym. There is a way of doing it by 'pinching inches' from various bits and measuring but it's complicated and technical. The scales are much easier.

CuntTrollingRs Mon 16-May-16 15:25:51

FitBit scales say I'm 24% fat. I'm 9st and 5'8. I was quite surprised as it means I'm one quarter fat. Dh said that it should really be lower but if you're dehydrated first thing it will affect the reading. I never remember to weigh at night so I haven't tried yet.

NattyGolfJerkin Mon 16-May-16 15:41:03

cunt (ahem, sorry), 'fit' women have a body fat % of around 21-24 so you are doing pretty well

Frostycake Mon 16-May-16 15:47:16

I go to a clinic in Cheshire to get it measured. They put little pads/tapes all over your body and then send an electrical current through you.

It used to be 30% but I've been exercising and dieting like a maniac to get in shape for summer.

CuntTrollingRs Mon 16-May-16 15:49:55

Natty grin

dustwhatdust Mon 16-May-16 19:20:30

I've got this gadget that works out body fat content but not sure how accurate as they say the manual method using callipers which measures the amount of spare flesh on certain parts of your body (tummy,backs of arms,thighs calves and back fat ) is supposed to be much better & if anything, they say the machine ones tend to under value so heaven knows I'm probably 40% fat - gosh !!

From your comments there is huge differential to how people carry their weight, it's quite incrdible how individual it all is .

I suppose for me because of my age my muscle must be hugely lessened by menopause hence the idea it is ok to have a much higher BFC if you're over 50 - that's what I'm telling myself, still 39% fat is hard to live with !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now