Talk

Advanced search

Three stone too fat

(24 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Tue 19-Apr-16 15:08:52

The scales tell me I'm nine pounds lighter than the day I gave birth to my baby. I honestly can't see it but I know I need to lose weight.

I have lost two stone, slowly, but then it all went back on when I was ill and on medication. I didn't realise until too late I was having the severe side effects but tbh fat v dead is no real choice.

Currently under the hospital. I think the weight gain is partly due to being ill.

I'm not hungry, when I eat I'm full after very little. I'm very stressed and fragile at the moment but seeing the start of a double chin has been a shock.

I have issues with a back injury so an hours walk is quite tiring and I am sore for the next few hours but will do it if I felt weight would come off. I also have asthma.

I don't know where to start. Food is a huge issue as all I think about is how ugly I am from being fat. I want it to be easy as in a natural way of life but have no one to help and advise me.

Am I a lost cause? sad.

RunnerOnTheRun Tue 19-Apr-16 20:50:25

No you are not a lost cause!! At all. You will be just fine.

Try to use this frustration as your momentum to get going with the healthy eating! You say food is a huge issue, it would help if you could share what you tend to eat and I will take a look for you.

You should strip away processed sugars, trans fats and stick to whole foods. So eggs, veggies, fruits, salad, fish, meat, nuts and seeds and Greek yoghurt. No packets, no jars. Plenty of information on the internet for clean eating, this doesn't mean you can't have your treats, just have them once a week, not every day.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 20-Apr-16 08:51:00

Sorry for not coming back. Last night was a hard one and tbh I'd forgotten I had posted as was more upset about other stuff than me being fat.

I don't eat much so have realised I must be eating the wrong things. The last month has not been typical for me but I know the weight has been creeping on for a couple of years and the last stone fairly recently.

Having dc3 and getting older has been the turning point. I used to eat and not really gain weight. I'd have cereal and toast, jacket potato and cheese or soup and bread then dinner would be a cooked meal with fish/meat, potatoes/rice and veg.

These days breakfast is nothing or random things. This week it has been home made peppers, onions and cheese tart, quiche, toast and pate. That's three days, not in one day! Lunch one day was the pepper tart and chocolate (emotional eating sad) and yesterday I had macaroni cheese and a pork pie ffs. Dinner this week has been jacket potato with cheese and prawn cocktail and I can't remember the other days.

I cook from scratch though used a chicken chassuer jar on Monday. Remembered now, that was chicken thighs, loads of veg and mash. I've used jars about five times this year. They really are a rare occurance and my kids were surprised as they are 10-15 and know mummy doesn't use jars.

I used to drink too much coke and lemonade but have cut right down and the bottle in the kitchen is not going to be replaced. Tbh I started drinking coke as I was so tired as I have a child at home permanently after six years of school and don't sleep well.

I've been unwell and got fed up of the meal planning and all the cooking and it just got too much. Even planning our veg was too much. I cook twice a night and sometimes I hate it.

Today to a friends for lunch, dinner is shepherds pie and I need to get started.

Thank you.

RunnerOnTheRun Wed 20-Apr-16 09:53:42

Hi, you sound very very down in the dumps about life in general, it can definitely get like that sometimes! Give yourself some you time if you can. I have young children too, and often cook twice too. It's easier to have a fridge and cupboards stocked full of easy to grab things and spend a little while washing/chopping/bagging up things to grab and also don't be afraid of frozen veg, very very quick to cook to pad out anything.

When I mentioned jars I also mean all processed foods, so things like tarts and pate will give you a shed load of calories and junk and not a lot of nutrition or fibre. You need to get yourself in to a big shop like Lidl, Asda, Aldi and buy truck loads of bags of seasonal (very cheap at the moment) fruit, veg, salad, lean meats etc. Lay off the mash potato, pastry and rice, and that will reduce your carb in take by a lot.

RunnerOnTheRun Wed 20-Apr-16 10:21:00

And just to add you say you don't at a lot, so what you do eat must be wrong. Losing fat is not going to be about eat less, for you it is going to be about eating more! Just make sure that more is whole, real foods. They don't have to be complicated recipes, just single ingredient foods on the plate, so eggs, mushrooms, tomatos etc. Or prawns, lettuce, cucumber, sweet potato, or chicken green beans, bit of brown rice. It can be very very simple once you get your head around it "not being a diet"!

Goingtobeawesome Wed 20-Apr-16 10:33:27

I'm going to make notes as I know I can do this with guidance. Thank you.

I have done 5:2 and diet chef and lost a stone then stuck. With DC I was shocked how much I could eat so I know it is about what I eat, not the amount. Thank you again.

RunnerOnTheRun Wed 20-Apr-16 11:01:44

That's ok, you're welcome. I wouldn't make yourself do any fasting diets, you need regular food intake to prevent the binges at this stage. Just learn real nutrition before trying fancy ideas. You can teach yourself how to eat to live healthy. Feel free to post your shopping when it's all done and ask any questions about products. The less ingredients the better, the less packaging the better!

Goingtobeawesome Tue 26-Apr-16 13:13:46

Just been for a run and registered with my fitness pal. Have put in breakfast and lunch and what I plan to have for dinner. Still have 746 calories remaining including the extras earned by running and walking.

Do I have to eat back the earned calories given I have 3 stone to lose and what can I eat as I'm a bit peckish still?

HelenF35 Tue 26-Apr-16 13:19:33

Make sure you eat over your bmr after taking off your exercise calories and you will be al good. I'm in a similar position to you and have lost 11.5lbs in 3 weeks on slimming world. Over 2 stone to go but it's a good start grin

Goingtobeawesome Tue 26-Apr-16 13:48:00

What is bmr?

How soon should I weigh myself and how long before I will lose something?

RunnerOnTheRun Tue 26-Apr-16 14:12:48

CHILL! Please don't rush to see results, just focus on the fitness and the gradually eating a better diet. MFP is notoriously bad at dictating what people need to eat in terms of calories and macros. Much better to listen to your body and try to learn your own natural signals. If you are hungry and have had water, then eat some more! The other problem with calorie counting is it doesn't look at the quality of calories, how many times do people say "I've got 700 spare calories so I can afford some junk/alcohol" etc. It's not good.
Eat until satiated with real, whole foods. Don't look at exercise as calories burned, look at it as a massive achievement that you went out and did something.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 26-Apr-16 15:01:12

I am chilled, I know it will take time. My questions were to keep me realistic.

I don't always feel hungry. Since I did the 5:2 I find I can't tell when I am hungry or not and have gone from 100% emotional eater to zero emotional but now I'm back to slipping back to it. Partly as the last six months have been massively stressful.

I rarely feel hungry and think I don't eat enough but the last stone has gone in a very short space of time.

Need to get this weight off for health as well as vanity sad.

HelenF35 Tue 26-Apr-16 16:40:16

Bmr is basal metabolic rate. It's the minimum amount of calories your body needs to perform all essential functions. You will find calculators online.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 26-Apr-16 16:57:23

Thank you.

Goingtobeawesome Tue 26-Apr-16 16:59:18

It's 1571.85

RunnerOnTheRun Tue 26-Apr-16 21:26:03

Sorry I just see the dieter impatience all the time.
It is a long, slow game, but progress is

RunnerOnTheRun Tue 26-Apr-16 21:28:28

Sorry! Pressed enter I think! Anyway, progress not perfection is what I was going to type. Any progress toward to a healthier lifestyle than what you have been doing is great, but going from 0-100 is not going to happen in a week, as in, you will have lots and lots of motivation right now at the beginning of the "plan" but it will wain. You need to be prepared for that withdrawal dip which is going to play games with your mental state. And when you do cave in and eat something which you consider to be "off your plan" then you need to try to just accept it, move on and not feel guilty or dwell on it. In a way, you need to plan in a treat meal to keep you motivated! Does that make sense?

Goingtobeawesome Wed 27-Apr-16 07:20:24

I was a bit disheartened there was no weight off this morning but I know I am being silly. I went for another run last night but today I'll be walking for an hour to get the shopping. I can't run consecutive days yet! Plus my inhaler ran out on last nights trip so that was a bit scary.

I had 10 chocolate buttons last night as was well under calories allowed but I know I need to pick better choices for treats if I want a food treat.

Today I won't have coke or lemonade. Small steps and all that. Planning fish for tea with rice and veg.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 27-Apr-16 10:42:32

Ds and I did a 70 minute walk to the shop and back. My legs were not happy grin.

Goingtobeawesome Sat 30-Apr-16 08:06:26

I've done a long walk and been running three times. I've been careful what I eat and had three meals a day with a small snack. Drunk water.

Put on weight.

<cries>

RunnerOnTheRun Sat 30-Apr-16 08:22:18

Ditch the scales.

Goingtobeawesome Sat 30-Apr-16 08:41:45

Last time I stopped weighing myself I put two stone on with no clue. That's why I weigh myself.

RunnerOnTheRun Sat 30-Apr-16 14:58:53

But equally now it's showing a gain you're pissed off. And that may make you think "sod this I'll eat whatever I want because it's not working". They mess with your mind.

Goingtobeawesome Sat 30-Apr-16 16:11:03

I'm not pissed off. Just disappointed and I haven't stuffed my face. I made a vegetable curry, tonnes of veg, no rice , half a naan and I'll keep trying. The point was I cant gain another two stone without noticing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now