Is there any way i can help my sister? Advice wanted..

(3 Posts)
Runningupthathill82 Tue 15-Mar-16 12:23:33

I'm looking for advice from those who are, or have been, very overweight. I hope you can help me.

My younger sister is very obese. I don't know exactly how much she weighs, but last time she did WW her start weight was 20 stone, and she's significantly bigger now. She's 5ft 4ins.

I know that she is very unhappy at this size. It is already significantly affecting her health and she hates her appearance. She says she desperately wants to lose weight. She'd like to start a family soon and she knows this can't happen at her current size.

I know that the impetus to lose weight has to come from her, not anyone else.I get that. But I was just wondering if, as asupportive older sister, if there was anything I could do to help.

I've tried the obvious stuff like offering to go to gym classes with her, but she's not up for that, which I do understand. I've also taken her out for spa days, theatre trips etc, to have fun and try to make her feel better about herself.

But as she gets bigger and her health deteriorates further, I'm wondering if my role is just to keep my nose out,or is there anything I could say, anything I could do, that might help her achieve what she says she wants to achieve?

Those of you who have been in her shoes - is there anything those closest to you could have said or done that was supportive?

Thanks in advance.

Ragwort Tue 15-Mar-16 12:37:49

I don't think there is, sadly.

I have been quite overweight for most of my adult life and my mother has never, ever made any unkind comments but she has always been supportive and, over the years, paid for gym membership, spa weekends, weight watchers classes etc etc.

But the only thing that has ever worked for me was making my own decision to lose weight.

Drogon Tue 15-Mar-16 19:54:50

I second what Ragwort has said. Both times I've seriously dedicated myself to losing weight (successfully losing a significant amount of weight) it was just like a switch flicked in my head and it made sense. The second time (after having DD and gaining 5 stone in 3 years) it was because I realised I could barely lift myself off the settee and my knees were starting to hurt.

I've always wanted to lose weight, and had tried many times but it was only when I was in the right frame of mind that it seemed to make sense and was almost easy.

You sound like a lovely sister, and I hope your sister gets there in the end and makes the choice to change in her own time smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now