My miracle high carb low fat diet

(14 Posts)
zodiackelly Thu 10-Mar-16 09:35:22

Hi guys!

I joined to share my experiences & be part of a motivational community and was just wondering if anyone's given a high carb low fat vegan diet a go for when it comes to losing weight? I've been eating this way for 6 months now and I've never felt better and have shed the stubborn fat I wanted to get rid of. It's not for everyone, but if you're open-minded, it's worth a try.

I honestly believe it'll work for you, let me know if you have any questions or need tips smile

NantucketNightbird Thu 10-Mar-16 14:21:49

What do you eat? Quite interested in this smile

KP86 Thu 10-Mar-16 14:38:13

I would love to know how you follow LCHF as a vegan. I'm doing it myself (about one stone lost in one month) but eating 'normally'

newlabelwriter Thu 10-Mar-16 14:40:01

Sounds great, what does it entail?

KP86 Thu 10-Mar-16 15:07:08

Just realised you wrote the opposite to me, HCLF, rather than LCHF. Still curious to see your menu...

zodiackelly Thu 10-Mar-16 16:28:06

That's great to hear KP - keep it up! Yes, definitely HC lol, great thing is that you can eat as much as you want when you want and still remain fit and healthy, as long as you're eating the right kinds of food.

My diet consists of whole grains/wheats (rice, bread, pasta) instead of white. Fruits and veggies are a given, all types of beans, potatoes (sweet potato is great especially, whether baked or cut into chips) - so I go between all of that for dinners in the week, I make vegan chilli, bolognese, wraps, bean burgers, sweet potato with veggies and rice, there's lots of recipes out there. Of course a naughty snack here and there too but less about that grin

It's also about the liquids you put in your body, lots of water of course. Green or white tea is great, have a few cups every day and I swear by it. Hope that's somewhat helpful smile

Emmiy Thu 10-Mar-16 21:17:23

Good that its working for you but this was the diet of the late 70s and early 80s. Yep you can lose lots of weight on it as its eating lots of fruit and veg which is so good for you and good carbs whilst keeping it very low in added fat. Nothing wrong with that. Just best to not eat processed packaged foods.

weaselwords Thu 10-Mar-16 21:22:37

Ooh interesting. I'm mostly vega at the moment so this would suit me.

zodiackelly Thu 10-Mar-16 22:07:58

Yes exactly Emmiy - they were definitely onto something back then! I stay away from processed food and try to eat as natural and healthy as I possibly can. It's a very easy diet to follow when you think about it, just takes willpower when it comes to staying away from tempting foods.

Weasel that's great! Good luck on your journey smile what kinds of food do you eat?

mercifulTehlu Thu 10-Mar-16 22:14:22

I've recently lost quite a bit of weight on a HCLF diet, though not through choice - I have to eat LF atm as I have gallstones. I don't eat vegan or vegetarian though - just LF. I'm not trying to lose weight now, but am amazed how easily I'm maintaining my weight by basically eating whatever the hell I like as long as it's LF.

zodiackelly Thu 10-Mar-16 22:19:20

Yes that's true mercifulTehlu! It's why I'm so baffled when I see low carb, high fat diets being advertised or people saying carbs are the devil. Maybe if you're eating processed junk bad carbs, but otherwise they're what your diet should mostly consist of, alongside fruit/veg.

Emmiy Sat 12-Mar-16 00:23:07

Well that does depend upon how you see things. By eating low fat high carb you are basically removing fats, hence the weight comes off. By eating low carb you are removing sugars and all carbs and the weight comes off. One way or another losing weight is about eating less calories and usually if you add up your calories on low carb or low fat, you will find that you are eating less than you were before. As you get older some fats (healthy fats) are better than others and help you to age better. EG. avocado, salmon, nuts and seeds. I have done both and find that paleo works best for me. I don't eat dairy or grains. Low fat just makes me very hungry because of the lack of fat. With paleo I have lost 2 stone in the last year and not gone hungry and even have dark chocolate and the occasional paleo treat like flourless chocolate cake, blondies etc.

mercifulTehlu Sat 12-Mar-16 07:52:13

Low fat doesn't make me hungry because I eat more when I'm eating low fat. I tried low carb (and paleo) and found them a) incredibly hard to stick to from a convenience point of view and a willpower point if view and b) extremely unforgiving of slip-ups - I only had to eat a little carb for the weight to pile back on really quickly. I did lose weight dramatically, especially at the beginning, but it simply wasn't tenable for me long term.

Whereas imo you can eat low fat and have much more of a 'normal' diet. For me it's about the amount of fat I eat per meal (I can get away with up to 10g without my galbladder kicking off). So I can still have a bit of chocolate or a biscuit or something, as long as it's only little.

Emmiy Sat 12-Mar-16 11:40:39

Sounds like it's good for you merci. I have been trying to improve my duet to eat the healthiest naturalist way I can so primarily eat lots of veg salad and fruit meat fish. I don't eat a lot of fat but if it comes naturally with a food then I eat it. I don't eat processed food now. I don't eat any diary. If I ate only low fat now my diet would be a bit tasteless and unpalatable I think. I found in the last 5 years that I never gained weight but didn't lose it either. I think it was an age thing and hormones. Insulin resistance tends to happen after menopause. So I tried low carb and paleo and the weight started moving and no hot flushes either. It's about finding what's right for you isn't it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now