Talk

Advanced search

calorie counting - is it working for you? 10lbs lost in 4wks so far!

(9 Posts)
justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Thu 18-Feb-16 20:15:36

Any other calorie counters out there or those with success stories?

I've been eating better for 4 weeks. The first two weeks I was still consuming quite a bit of junk and I'm talking takeaways and Ben & Jerrys, although I was still making healthy choices for everything else.

The other two weeks (Mon-Fri only) I have calorie counted. The weekends I will have a treat if I fancy it, like I had a chinese om Saturday and almost half a tub of B&Js ice cream the next.

Overall I've lost lbs so far which I'm really pleased about.

I'm 5'10 and now 12.4 so before I was 13 and just over the bmi limit. Back in the healthy range now!

When I'm calorie counting I eat good calories. Food that will fuel me. But I do have a sweet tooth and wondered if anyone has a bit of choc often, like a kit kat or something, because as long as it's within calorie limit and you're still eating well then it should be okay? Can anyone shed light on this?

I don't plan to calories count long term. Just enough that I can understand portion control and have a general idea of how much I'm eating.

Sorry if I've rambles and thanks for any success stories, tips etc!

ThoughtfulPenny Thu 18-Feb-16 20:17:42

I've been calorie counting for 5 weeks and have lost 11lb. I still have a treat if I fancy it, generally a 2 finger kitkat (109) or a pack of quavers (89). I've had weekends off completely and had a takeaway every sat night and just had what I wanted so it seems to be working well for me.

ChishandFips33 Thu 18-Feb-16 20:21:29

Fitbit and myfitnesspal user here - generally eating 500 cals per day less and def eating less chocolate and sweets and drinking more water, walking more but not feeling a huge difference!
Wondering if I'm not eating enough calories?? Fitbit says approx 2200 expended and between 1400 & 1800 in
Half a stone lost would be ideal!

ChishandFips33 Thu 18-Feb-16 20:23:17

I think if you're within your limit a bit of a treat isn't unhealthy - esp if it keeps you on track rather than heading back to old ways. I figure when I do have a treat it's far far less than I used to have!

booksrock Thu 18-Feb-16 20:29:15

I'm calorie counting. I'm using mfp and have cut out carbs, anything sweet or yummy. First week was hard but this week was easier, I'm having lots of fuit and veg and down to about 900 calories a day :-) I am 10 and 3/4 and want to get down to 10 stone or under . I've also cut out alcohol :-(

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Thu 18-Feb-16 20:31:23

All good points thank you. Yes I do feel like my mindset has improved! Usually I'd be 100% healthy or 100% binge eating whereas now I can have something naughty (or even a whole weekend) and not spiral out of control anymore!

chrish I have heard that some people have eaten more and then lost so it is possible! Sounds like you've come to a standstill but plough through and hopeful you'll notice change soon!

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Thu 18-Feb-16 20:35:12

I tried mfp but got annoyed that I had to add every item of food as a new food so begin with and gave up! I thought you could add foods others had already added but nope! Unless I was being blind...

Its good to eat carb but if you're a voiding carb but feel like you need some try and have it early in the day so you can burn it off.

wow booksrock 900 a day is very low but as long as you feel good then I guess it's okay

pettyprudence Thu 18-Feb-16 20:41:30

I used MFP to calorie count and did no exercise (beyond walking about with the children) and lost 3.5 stone in 9 months. Then I got a fitbit to encourage more walking, and now I run and do ballet every week but my weight is now stable rather than falling (also because I am trying to wean myself off calorie counting and maintain my weight).

During the week I was mostly good about what I ate - nutritional and filling but on a Saturday anything goes, plus I would still have small treats through the week.

chis - I had to ignore the fitbit adjustment to MFP in order to loose weight

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Thu 18-Feb-16 21:14:15

Wow petty you've done amazing! My own exercise is running round after the littles as well and walking to and from places if we go out so that's great to hear! Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now